PICS - Five Different Chicks - What sex and breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by homechick, Apr 10, 2007.

1. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    have five chicks.. different ages but I'm thinking somewhere between a month and a month and a half?? Anyway, they are also different breeds. I have NO clue what breeds or the sexes. One of them is for sure a pullet and she is a standard. The rests are bantams... not sexed yet. Any idea on what I have here? Any opinions will help!

Here's two pics of my "Big Mamma". I know she's a standard but any idea on the breed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my youngest (I think)
    [​IMG]

Here's two pictures of one I picked out because of it's beautiful speckles! I think it may be a cockerel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one with pretty stripes up the back. Sorry for the bad photo. Chickens don't sit still very well.
    [​IMG]

Here's the tiniest little "chicky" as my son calls it. Follows the big one around everywhere. So sweet.
    [​IMG]

2. kalisgirl

kalisgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    Winston Salem,NC
  3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I am not sure, but the last one kinda looks like a Millie Fluer bantam chic. They are sure cute and comical birds.

Never mind, I just noticed that is does not have any feathers on its feet. So it cannot be a Millie Fluer.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  4. Orpingtonlover

Orpingtonlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm not sure about most of the breeds but the little grey or silver colored one is a Blue Rose comb Bantam i know this because i have 8 right now that are 4 weeks old looks just like that one

5. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I'm no expert, but that first one looks like a game bird!

6. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute pics of those babies. I am thinking the chick after the grey one is an araucana (sp). Can't tell you what the other's are or what sex they are as I am new to this myself. Good luck.

7. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    If I got them when they were a day old, McMurrays Hatchery pictures could help.. but alas.. this is what I have to work with. [​IMG].

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    You sure have some pretty birds!

Quote:Although the feather pattern is similar, this bird is not a Buttercup. A Buttercup has a cup or crown shaped comb, which is how it got its name.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  9. Unbridled

Unbridled Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Moses Lake, WA
    the first one looks like a modern game bird the second and third look to be Old english game bantams the last one I am not sure about.

10. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm no good at ID'ing chicks, just luv looking at them. And your photos are so nice!
    How do you folks do that so well? I never get nice shots like that. I want lessons! [​IMG]
    As far as sexing... ok, hold them on their back in your hand so, if they stop kicking after a short time, its a pullet, if they keep kicking its a cockerel... [​IMG]
    I read that right here in this forum, so there you go [​IMG] ( have no idea if it works, but I filed it away in my treasure trove of information gathered from this great group!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by