Pics for gender ID on BS...please take a guess!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by NYRIR, Jun 13, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Here is a couple pics of my Narrs and BS's at 7 weeks...their brooder is 8 x 3 x2 so they are not as crowded as they look...just nosey [​IMG]
    BTW, can someone tell me how to differentiate Toms and Hens yet? I know probably not from these pics but what am I looking for? One lady told me that females have a "triangular" snood and males have a "beaded" snood.But the ones she thought were females looked redder and seemed to have more wattle growth?? Anyway, I am not familiar with turkey sounds yet...so that doesn't help much [​IMG] Is it like chickens in the way that you can tell by how long the snood is and how red they get?
    UPDATE:

Ok..I got pics of the four Blue Slates I have...are they boys or girls? They are 7 weeks. My UNEDUCATED guess is I have 3 Toms and 1 hen?

Bird 1 Tom?
    [​IMG]

Bird 2 This one came out fuzzy as it was not happy to have a pic taken! Tom 2?

[​IMG]

Bird 3 Hen? Reason I think so is the lack of wattle and coloration... [​IMG] although they seem to change the color at will [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bird 4 Tom 3?
    [​IMG]

I hope someone tells me I have both sexes...kinda need both to breed them [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm glad you asked this, and I'm going to watch your post! [​IMG] I've got two little turkeys that are 4 weeks old, and I also was wondering when you can tell males from females.......I'm hoping for one of each, but they do look identical in shape right now.....

Mine still look adoreable with fuzz still on their necks......(Wish they kept their neck fuzz...) [​IMG]

Sharon

3. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    I'm def. no expert, but I think their behavior is a good indication. The toms should strut quite a bit. Although hens do strut, they won't do it as much or as long as toms. Like I said, I don't have much experience, but my one tom before this batch started strutting at 1 week and by 8 weeks was a strutting machine. And yes, the snood should also be much more pronounced on a tom. Can't remember the age that started, though. Also, look for feather loss on their heads - the toms should start to go bald.

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Lol...yeah...the fuzz leaves and they are not so cute! But they turn into cool looking birds [​IMG] I think if I can find the time I'm gonna post pics of them in the Breed/gender section to ask what sexes they are. Gonna be a lot of work since there's 12 [​IMG]

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:I will be watching for the strutters! They are all losing feathers on their heads...there are a couple I am pretty sure are hens because they have no color to the baldness and small snoods but...

6. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Bird 1 is a tom. Bird 3 is a hen. Bird 2 and 4, I can't tell from the pics. You are right, the head color changes continually. I have 3 BS that are 12 weeks old I definitely know what they are and 5 that are 8 weeks old - pretty sure. The 4 week old ones - no idea yet. Watching the behavior tells you a lot. I put my 12 week olds into the pen with the parents. Immediately the old tom started herding the 2 young hens. The young tom just stays out of daddy's way.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Oh I hope you are right! I wanted 2 hens but one to start is better than none! Now I need to post all 12 of my Narrs....can you ID them too?
    ETA: The birds you can't tell on are similar to bird 1...about the same wattle growth....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I don't know if I can or not. I only have BS and this is my 3rd year with them so I'm getting better at figuring out what they are.

9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That's ok...I'll post 'em when i take them and maybe you or someone else can guess. I just need to know I have at least 2 Toms and 6 hens....out of eight....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by