Pics from after our snowstorm

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by flyingtnh, Oct 31, 2011.

1. flyingtnh

flyingtnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    18.5" by yesterday morning... I'm the only one in my office who didn't lose power (pretty quiet because I told them all to stay home until they had things under control). With everything (even church services) closed down for the day, we had a good famly day playing in the snow.

Pics on our blog: http://flyingtnh.wordpress.com ... here are a few:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes, the last pic is staged.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Nice. We only got two inches Saturday night. If it going to be cold and snow I'd rather get a lot of it.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How strange to see all those lovely fall colors on the trees while so much snow blankets the ground. Beautiful photos!

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    We got 22" over here in Concord! It was so much fun to wake up to [​IMG]

5. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    Here in Central Mass we got about 20 inches of snow. We have no electricity, cable or internet. UGH! My chickens would not even set foot out of the chickie house!

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I just can't believe those pictures! Here in Ohio, we've had no snow yet....It's actually been rather nice....it was in the 50s this weekend. The pics you took are lovely.......Snow looks so cheerful when it's fresh.....I especially like to see it when you wake up, and it's just sparkles......

Oh, power outages and all.....makes me shiver! We had a wood burner installed for that very reason. We live out in the boonies, and when we lose power, sometimes it's off for a week! We have a small generator so we can have a light and run the fridge.....But then we have no water.....So we save water in two liter pop bottles in case of emergency. (You can use it to wash dishes or flush the toilet.....

Not looking forward to power outages, although I have to confess I do love the snow.....Just maybe not that much......

Take care,
    Sharon

7. flyingtnh

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Melting quickly - sunny and mid-40s in places, though significantly colder up on our hill. Two of my folks have their power back up now. ~Million in New England evidently still out and it was down to 18 degrees last night. We have generator if needed and we heat mostly w/wood, but very thankful our power is on.

8. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Gorgeous pics!

No snow here - YET! Lots and lots and lots of rain tho'. (altho' today looks like it's going to be sunny! YAY!!!!)

With your snow storms already hitting this early in the season [​IMG], would probably bode well for you to start buying extra supplies to hold you over all winter long. If you have a fireplace or wood pellet stove? Get a couple of cords of wood or stock up on pellets to be on the ready so you'll have heat. Extra canned goods. Extra propane or charcoal for the grills (in case power goes out and you can't cook on the stove/oven). Extra blankets. Extra flashlights and batteries. Extra chicken feed and bedding. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Do it before the next snow storm/ice storm warning and you won't have to be fighting everyone else at the stores for the supplies when it's announced it's heading your way. [​IMG] I do this... I've had friends think I was nuts and think I was planning for armageddon, but after a couple of events like this? Yeah... they weren't laughing at me any more and now they follow my lead! LOL

9. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful sight! Thank you for sharing those lovely photos!

10. flyingtnh

Sep 1, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Done, done, and done. I'm somewhat of a preparedness overachiever (blame it on Boy Scouting, the Military, living through some big winters in North Dakota/Alaska/New England and "civil disturbances" in Greece, or a combination of all those): 7+ cords of wood. Plenty of gas, oil, and bar oil for chainsaw - and a pasture full of pin-cherries to add to the piles this winter. Home canning did pretty well this year, but we've got store stock to supplement that. Propane runs our stove, oven, and hot water heat, and I've got two mini-tanks for the grill. I've got a PTO generator that is overkill for our needs. I top off the tractor and the diesel boiler tank every Saturday, then refill the 5gal jugs on the way home from the dump (gas station there sells off-highway diesel) on my way to the feed store. Blankets - check (used to live in Alaska). Flashlights and batteries - check. Heck, we haven't even opened my "go bags" yet!

Talking about planning for Armageddon. relatives just bought a 60s pickup so that they'd have one vehicle that would work after an EMP. I've got a '59 Ford I bought over 25 years ago (I was thinking about having a cool car, not about terrorist/rogue state attack), so once I get the brake slave cylinders built, I guess I'm set!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by