Pics from working calves

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Buster, May 20, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

A couple of weeks ago, we worked about 60 cows and their calves and 10 heifers. Here are a few pics from that day.

First we have to get them in the chute:

[​IMG]

Then while they are in the chute waiting for their turn to get shots, branded, and tattooed, I have to hold them from backing out by putting my hip against them. This keeps them in there and keeps me from getting kicked (most of the time) by their sharp little hooves.

[​IMG]

I don't really enjoy the smoke or the smell from the branding (obviously- look at my face.)

[​IMG]

2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing those!!

Stacy

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Great pictures! We used to help another family with their cows/calves every year in exchange for some beef. I weighed all of 85 pounds at the time, so my job was to stand on the outside of the chute with a stick or whip or something and urge them up for their turn.

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    This is how we do it out west.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm glad we don't brand our calves....I don't think I could handle the smell!! My job is running the headgate.

6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I'll stick to wrangling chickens I guess [​IMG]

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Cara, those pictures look like heaven to me... *sigh* Maybe one day...

-Kim

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Wow those pictures are great! I take it those are in New Mexico. Looks like you have a lot of cows and a lot of help! Believe it or not, they used to work the calves that way here too a long time ago, but as my wife's grandpa got into the business of selling registered purebred Limousins, there was a lot of paperwork to keep track of and he decided to bring the entire operation inside to be better able to document things. I was always a city kid before getting married and moving here with my wife and it has been quite the lifestyle change for me. I like it better here. Our setup works well for one old man and his kids who have jobs off the ranch to work around where we only have one day in the spring to get together and get it all done. [​IMG]

9. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    Buster, that looks like a long hard day of work. Why brand? why not ear tag?...Most if not all cattle farms here use ear tags.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Cara~ Your pictures are breathtaking! Where abouts are you in NM? My brother worked on a ranch in Carlsbad.

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by