1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics: hatching today with mama!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessupfamily, May 27, 2007.

1. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Our babies have started hatching this morning [​IMG] !! We have one happy mama, well maybe 2 happy mamas [​IMG] if you include me!! Here's the first 2 out and one more is cracking out. There's another 9 more under her. The other mama isn't due to start hatching for another couple of days, but she's all excited and clucky also!

[​IMG]

Amy J.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  2. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Love it! What a beautiful mama! What are your chicks?

3. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    The fluffy dry one is a Black Silkie/Buff Orpington mix. The other (kind of still wettish) a Partridge Rock/? mix. The Silkie mix has furry feet!!! The one hatching is a Light Brahma mix for sure (I know their eggs).
    Amy J.

4. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Nice sibling shots! [​IMG] (Look for the little beak poking out in the egg!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amy J.

5. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    I love watching babies hatch! and I love watching mammas raise thier little peeps. I just let Topps outside with her 12 peepers, and they LOVE it!

Shannon

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

How Awesome!!!
    I've never hatched myself and it's just so amazing to see!
    thank you so much!

7. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Here's an update picture: This is Mama (Barred Rock "Magdalena")and Papa (Black Silkie "Motorcycle") showing the babies the grain that is on the coop floor. Our Motorcycle loves his babies!! [​IMG] He's been sleeping on the coop floor in front of the nest box where Mama sleeps with the babies.
    [​IMG]
    Amy J.

8. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111:love

how many fuzzy wuzzies [​IMG] are there?

9. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Right now we have 3 with the first mama and 4 (and some still popping out) with another mama! [​IMG] We are really excited to have little Silkie mixes!! The other 4 have at least one foot with the extra Silkie toe and 2 of them have the extra toe on both feet!!
    Amy J.

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    It is always great to see chicks with a family the way nature intended to be. Denise(Freebie) is suspose to have eggs hatch by her hens next week. One bantam hen is sitting on 5 standard size eggs. What lucky chicks to come into this world to a loving mama and not a from an incubator in a large hatchery only to be thrown around shoved in a box shipped around the country into a new environment. In my opinion a broody hen is the only way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by