1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics (heavy) of pea parents

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Wisher1000, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Here are the parent birds of the white pea I hatched. What can you tell me about these birds (variety, probable genetics, etc.) based on these pics and the fact that one offspring is a white.
    The first six pics are of the male that recently died. He was a classic IB, right? Or maybe a dark pied?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the pics are of the peahen that she still has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The white throat patch of the female.

[​IMG]
    You can't see it very well but this ^ small feather is white

[​IMG]
    One long white flight feather. I know the pics are not good ones, but is she also an IB dark pied? Other than the white flights and throat, there was no other visable white on her. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated, even if you think it is obvious, I am just learning.

And one last pic of their offspring...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Lovely birds!
    My only experience is with IBs, and your sweet boy that passed away (so sorry about this) was not a "classic IB" - they don't have any white flight feathers.
    Your girl's throat looks like a normal IB throat, but of course her white flight tells another story.
    I'm sure someone with more experience will have some thoughts about these peas!

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Thanks for the reply and the compliments, but the parent birds are not mine. They belong to a lady I know and she had two eggs that she was going to toss. I took them home and put them under a broody and hatched the one white.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I think both have genetics to produce white. (white feathers are the clue.) That is why they produced an all white chick.

Female looks like a pied.

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Oh, sorry about that, I would have realized if I was paying attention!
    Well your white bird is certainly a beauty! [​IMG]

6. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    They are probably both IB split to White, hence the white flights, and white offspring. The lady who owns them doesn't know more about them? They're very cute and I'm sorry to hear about that pretty male passing away. There's something extra cute about the white ones, I think.

7. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Both parents split to white. Hen does not have any white on the rest of her body, correct? If not, she's not pied, just split to white.

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If the white is a male would it be really bad to breed him back to his mother? I know with chickens, you can do that if you don't do it over several generations.

There is no more information available on the breeding of the parent birds.

The hen had no other white on her except for the normal black/brown and white barring on her wings.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  9. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    Why aren't you going to keep it? If it is a male it would be okay to breed to her, but you have two years for that anyhow, plenty of time to get more peas.

10. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Arbor,,I've been told by several breeders that a bird can be pied and not show visual signs of it including a throat patch or white flights.Matter of fact one breeder told me to keep accurate records of all hatched birds from my pied pen just for this reason.She was from western Iowa if I remember,,have to check thru e-mails to be sure of her location. The hen in the pictures does not have a throat patch in my opinion,,she looks like all IB hens in the neck coloring. A throat patch indicating pied would be noticably longer extending down the throat maybe another 1" or so.If you have a known pied hen standing next to a non pied hen you can tell the diffrence easily.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by