Pics included- Dark brahma he or she???

mlmonro3

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2016
I have a 6 week old dark brahma, I'm new to this, but I think I have a hen. Any thoughts or explanations?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been looking at a lot of these posts and the one thing that seems pretty consistent in most of them is that dark brahmas can be sexed by their coloring. Penciling means hen right??? Is that a for sure way to tell or is that just a guess too?

I've been looking at a lot of these posts and the one thing that seems pretty consistent in most of them is that dark brahmas can be sexed by their coloring. Penciling means hen right??? Is that a for sure way to tell or is that just a guess too?
You are right! I absolutely forgot that the cockerels have different feathering
hide.gif
. It looks like a pullet :).

This is my first go at keeping chickens, there is so much information out there. I wasn't sure if the change in coloring happened after 6 weeks or if that was truly a reliable way to tell. It seems like some on here can look at a chicken and guess the gender right away hahaha.

Yes, dark brahmas can be sexed by color at that age. You have a very pretty little pullet. :)

Awesome! That's what I was hoping for. She is by far my sweetest bird out of the 5 breeds we have :)

Here is a pic of my Dark Brahma. It is 2 months old now. Any idea if it's a pullet or a too? It doesn't crow but it definitely doesn't look my dark brahma pullet.

Back
Top Bottom