*pics* Momma Silkie and her first ever baby! I am so proud!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suburbanminifarm, Sep 29, 2009.

1. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I just got home to this sight!! I had 2 of my eight month old silkie pullets' eggs in the incubator for a while-- honestly I was just checking for fertility but then I didn't have the heart to throw them out. I kept candling them and could see that they were doing well and growing. I had FORGOTTEN like a big idiot what day I put them in the incy though. So when Momma went broody, I popped them under her and 4 days later I made a pretty good guess because just look at the little darlin'! It is a thrill to see her with her baby for the first time and one more is under her pipping!!!! Can you tell I'm thrilled?!! The black silkie roo is the proud poppa, exactly 5 months old. He is the sweetest dad, even cuddled up with his wife to lend her moral support. (Oh, and he needs a new home if you are nearby!)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. clucking chicken

clucking chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    oh that is just lovely i love seeing momas and thir wee baby chickes very cute

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Unless the lighting is wrong - he's blue not black but a cutie.

Congrats on a good momma and babies!

4. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    So cute... congratulations!

I have a broody BO hatching eggs right now, started yesterday, we have 7 baby chickies now and 4 more eggs to go, they havent pipped so I dont know if they are going to make it? I'm giving them a couple more days.

5. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    Your silkie momma is just gorgeous! What color is she? Those are DARLING pictures.

Is she aware you're trying to boot her husband out? [​IMG]

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Adorable [​IMG]

7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    And now the other has hatched!!!!!!!!I think it will be a splash like mommy!! I think the first hatched is a blue??? Now the other 2 under her are not due for 2 weeks, I'll have to put them in the bator --really great planning on my part I know *eye roll*
    [​IMG]
    Hee hee no she doesn't know our plans! How evil of us I know. He is a beautiful black even with some iridescent green in the right light, the camera does not like to take pics of black animals.[​IMG]
    Thanks for your nice comments!![​IMG]

8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    wow you should be proud they are beautiful, and nice photography

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Absolutely beautiful birds [​IMG] Mama is gorgeous.

10. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Beautiful! The babies, the momma, the papa!

Silkies are totally addictive. I have two white roos, a white hen, and a black hen. They're only four months old, but I can hardly wait till they have babies! Going to be soooo cute!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I wish I was close enough to snag that gorgeous sweet boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by