PICS my new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvchicks8, Jul 4, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Tomorrow DH and friend will have it all done and my babies can move in. It is 8x12 should be plenty room for my 8 chickens and 2 when they move out to the big boy/girl pen. In the second pic there is the opening at the top which is going to be chicken wire for ventilation there is another one in the back that is acactly the same. Do you think I should ad windowas for more ventilation or will this work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's very nice.

Good job,

Imp

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Looks good!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    It looks very nice wish I had Acoop that size. Im not sure about the ventilation cause Im not an expert. Good job though![​IMG]

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Wow, it's HUGE!!! Lucky you! In response to your question, I think you need a LOT more ventilation. Here's a link that I hope will help you with your decision making in the ventilation department: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Thanks 2 more windows I just added them to the honey do list thanks:)

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's a great coop! I also have an 8x12 coop. It has two rooms--an 8x8 and a 4x8 for storage, but I hope the rooms up to make one big coop. I do have windows on two sides for some cross ventilation....glad I do with this Ohio heat. If you can talk hubby into the windows, I'd do it.

8. COOPster

COOPster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Yes do the windows it will pay off in the long run. The more ventilation you have the better off your birds will be. Ideally you want good cross ventilation at top as heat rises and exhaust through soffit vents. The windows will provide a good means to circulate air from the bottom to the top.

9. COOPster

COOPster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Sorry, Beautiful coop

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Instead of covering the vents with chicken wire, though, it would be better to use hardware cloth. Chicken wire offers no protection from predators; a raccoon can easily rip through it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by