PICS--My Seramas are 6 1/2 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JudyMcKinn, Feb 10, 2009.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Well, my babies are coming right along. They are so tousled looking as their feathers are coming in. If anyone ever got around them but me, I would think they were being wooled around something terrible, but apparently it is just the baby feathers. They spend a lot of time preening. Anyway, there's 6 of them. 2 little roos and 4 little pullets. Here's a pic of 2 of the pullets--the biggest and the smallest.

[​IMG]

Here are the other 2 pullets. Not quite as large as the biggest one in the first pic.

[​IMG]

Pic of the 2 little roos.

[​IMG]

The littlest roo and littlest pullet.

[​IMG]

This is most of the gang.

[​IMG]

They look so much cuter when you aren't pointing a camera a them. When I set them out to take a pic, they don't move a muscle--just sit there till you pick them up and take them back to their "home". At what age do they start laying??

2. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    They look beautiful [​IMG]
    And i believe the standard time for a chicken to start laying eggs is at 5-6 moths of age
    good luck with yur peeps!

3. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Wow, check out the comb on that one little dude!!! [​IMG] He's gonna be hot stuff.

My seramas have usually start laying around 6 months for me.

4. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks, guys.
    kbbeale, did your little roos get more colorful when they feathered out the final time? Or stay the way they first feathered out--brown in my case?

5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    What a beautiful little flock you got there! Wish I could have a rooster! Course don't people always say "Careful what you wish for!"

You'll have to keep us updated on when the crowing begins an whether the littl guys continue to get along with only 4 girlfriends to share....

[​IMG]

6. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    They're so cute! Is this breed a sex link? The girls are brown and the roos are black. I love the pullets! They are so pretty!

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Those Seramas are real cute. They change colors and shape quite a bit in their first year. I reallylike those dark ones. I am guessing the boys may grow more reddish as they age.

ETA and also guessing the girls may grow some black and white speckles in them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    To SussexinSeattle, they are already starting to crow. I peeked out into the garage last night about midnight to make sure the light bulbs (heat) were still on, and one of the little guys was crowing. A tiny, very cute little "baby voice" going "chirrrrChrr" but he was standing up very proud with his little neck stretched out, looking like he thought he had really made a statement. By the time I got over there, they had moved around, and the 2 little roos look so much alike I couldn't tell which one it was. They are almost identical except one has dark ear lobes and the other has white/yellow ones.
    If the boys don't get along when they mature, I will put them in seperate apartments, 1 guy and 2 girls each.

To Chookies Rox, if this breed is sex-link, I'm not aware of it. I have read that they come out hundreds of colors, so I think it just happened for me that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by