PICS/Need gender: 12 week old - 4 Australorps, 1 Buff Rock, 1 RIR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bookchick, Jul 25, 2010.

1. bookchick

bookchick Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Orlando
    I recently heard a crow and now I need to know for sure. I got 6 chicks from a straight run. My guess is at least 2 boys.

Rhode Island Red
    Red (original...I know)
    has smaller wattles and comb than the others, doesn't hold tail up consistently; is smaller in size than all the others. Hoping a girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buff Rock
    Buff (I know, I know)
    comb & wattles red, doesn't hold tail up consistently. Hoping a girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Australorps

SweetPea
    light comb, smaller wattles than the others, tail not held up. Hoping a girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fatty
    largest of the 4 BA's, red comb & wattles, tail not held up consistently. Hoping a girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ed
    holds tail up most of the time, comb slightly lighter than Mr. T's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. T
    most dominant personality of the group, tail up most of the time, first to have comb & wattles turn red
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I appreciate your opinions!

2. kendra1178

kendra1178 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    I'm not experienced at this, but comparing them to my own chicks/chickens, I say that every one of those pictures shows a rooster.

3. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    its hard to tell for sure since the pics are so small(if the side views were bigger it would be easier to see the feathering)...but they all look like roos to me [​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    at 12 weeks old (I am not an expert) those all look like roos to me. I have 13 week olds and not one has a comb or wattles as big as that.

5. bookchick

bookchick Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Orlando
    Your responses make me extremely nervous/sad. I will go out and see what I can tell about their saddle feathers today (pointy/rounded). I will try and resize the photos and edit my original post later this evening.
    Thanks for your input though!
    [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I don`t know RIR`s to give an opinion but...I am sorry to say that your BA`s all look cockerels to me.
    Here is a photos of one of my BA boys with a pullet in the front for your comparison. They are both 12 weeks in the photo. I am sorry that I don`t have a good feather shot of my boys to share but you can see the comb differences.

[​IMG]

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Pretty hen Mrs. Feathers!

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Okay... Here's my (semi-uneducated) guess... I am thinking that SweetPea and Ed might look like girls... Though for 12 weeks their combs are quite large... That throws me off... Other than that I'm thinking all the rest are boys. [​IMG] Sorry if we're right...

But I'm 100% sure Red's a boy. RIR hens don't have the green sheen on their hackle feathers. I don't have any experience with Buff Orpingtons, but the saddle and hackle feathers really make me say boy.

Mrs. Feathers, your BA is so beautiful! I love that breed... <3

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  9. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Oooooh dear... I am very sorry to say, but I think those are all boys... I have all of those breeds and at 15 weeks old, none of them have combs or waddles that are as big as your pretty birds'... Tough luck if that is the case... I also think your RIR's feathers DEFINITELY look rooish.

[​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The bird in picture 1-2 looks like a rooster and isn't a R.I. Red. Might be a R.I. Red Cross.
    The bird in picture 3-4 looks like a rooster and is a New Hampshire or a Production Red hard to tell by the picture but I can tell that it isn't Buff Rock.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by