(PICS NOW)Finished our coop and got the chickies all settled in

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by new2chickens, Mar 2, 2008.

1. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    We were given 4 chickens last night in their "coop" (aka Dog Kennel) We got them so late last night we just left them in their "coop". Today we let them out on our 20 acres and they enjoyed themselves!! Thanks to one of the two roosters we were up about 2 hours early this morning (5am), so my husband built a floor and put it on legs and planned out the rest before we went to church. After church he finished the sides, top, front door, chicken door, and ramp. About 1 hr before church followed by about 4 hours after church and the chickens went from having a 2'X 2' space to having a 4' X 8'. It was not easy trying to catch them, but we finally got them, so we could put them in it. We will see if they go back in willingly tomorrow night or if we will have to catch them again!! It took about 45 minutes to an hour to catch all 4!! And I determined I am deathly afraid of the roosters!! I just "know" they want to get me! LOL I know I am a coward!! I would like to "rehome" these two roosters and raise a Bantam baby! If I have 2 full size (I think they are full size) hens, can I have a Bantam rooster??? Really we just want eggs. If and when we decide to have chicks I would want purebreds that I know what they are! I hate not knowing what these 4 are!! They can be seen at
    http://newchickens.blogspot.com/

I will try to upload coop building pics to the thread and my blog tonight or tomorrow!

Sarah

Here is the "start" of it
    [​IMG]

And here is the finished product...well sorta (minus the ramps)...will try to take a better pic if the rain goes away (glad it held off till today, so we could finish the coop yesterday!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Quick work! I bet they'll love having that extra space once they get used to it. [​IMG]

If you can rig up a way to put light in there it'll help them find their way in. They have an instinct to sleep in the same place every night and will be drawn to the light once it gets dark. Hope so anyway, it worked for me! [​IMG]

You sure can have a bantam rooster with standard hens but you may want to raise 2 or 3 chicks, they have a hard time when they're raised on their own. Plus it's easier to introduce two or three chickens into a flock. [​IMG]

The roosters you have look like red sex-link males. The hens are mixed breeds, the red one could be part Rhode Island Red and maybe a little Speckled Sussex too. I have no idea what the the black and white one is.

Good luck with your flock, you're off to a great start!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  3. new2chickens

new2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by