1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pic's of a 3 day old with a very scary looking behind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peigal, May 10, 2007.

1. peigal

peigal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this chick? What can be or should be done? None of the other chicks have this problem, there are 100 of them. It is lively and seems to be doing fine, but I am worried as I have never seen anything like this before. Thanks [​IMG]

I hope these photos work

2. peigal

Feb 27, 2007
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The link asks for your login.

4. peigal

Feb 27, 2007
    i have fixed it sorry

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    That looks bad. Did the chicken sit in something? Is it pooping at all?

From what I can see it may have a closed vent. Hold the bird tight and wash it under warm water. See if you can remove whatever that is. Dry the birds butt and see how it looks. I do this when my chicks get dirty butts and it works well.

Please do this and post another pic. Good luck.

6. peigal

Feb 27, 2007
    i don't have and pic's yet because the chick seems a bit distressed. I started to clean it's bum and poop started comming and comming and comming, boy was he backed up [​IMG] I think he may have gotten chilled while I was washing him. I'll post again when I know more. Thank you for your help. [​IMG]

7. peigal

Feb 27, 2007
    The chick seems to be doing better. It's behind still seems a bit wet and pasty but the chick seems happy so I'll just keep an eye on him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by