Pics of Brahma x Wyandotte Please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rabbithaus, Oct 14, 2009.

1. rabbithaus

rabbithaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Triangle, NC
    Anyone have any pics of wyandotte x brahma chickesn (LF or bantam)? How was their temperament and laying? Also,what color the parents were would be nice to know. Thanks!!

2. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    The male in the first photo is the result of a splash blue laced red Wyandotte cock crossed to one of my gold laced Brahma project hens. Personality wise he was ok, not as mellow as the Brahmas, but more so than his sire. His chicks are getting back to a more brahma-ish temperment.
    [​IMG]

some of his chicks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

big medicine

3. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Our only brahma/wyandotte cross turned out to be a roo, but I can post pics anyway [​IMG] His dad is GLW and mom is a brahma... they claimed she was partridge, but looks at most partridge x light brahma to me (there are pics of both the GLW roo and the brahma hen on my BYC page). He had nice temperament. I wouldn't expect a good layer from my cross as my brahma wasn't a very good layer...

The chicken to the left is the mix:
    [​IMG]

And a bit older, feathering in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    OMG big medicine! You made BLR Brahmas! [​IMG] I was going to try for blue, but that would be pointless now [​IMG]

5. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    thos are beatiful! what color/size eggs do they lay?

how often do they lay?

6. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you,
    this is the first generation with blue laced pullets, so I can't speak with absolute certainty. Based on the Brahma line I would expect a decent layer of large brown eggs.

big medicine

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Celticmoon1- I like your guy too- he almost has spangling in his chest [​IMG]

Thanks for starting this thread rabbithaus! Very cool [​IMG]

8. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting birds. [​IMG]

Like your project Big Medicine....they're tidy..[​IMG]

9. rabbithaus

rabbithaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Triangle, NC
    Thanks for the replies! Big Medicine-BLR Brahmas-too cool! So it seems to my very inexpert eyes that the Brahma phenotype is more dominate? The roos seemed to have the long legs and neck that kinda give them a godzilla appearance and no curvy wyandotte back? (Or maybe it is just me but Brahmas certainly have a 'look'.)

10. big medicine

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Could be in my case that the wyandotte was a hatchery bird and the brahmas much more typey. Years ago, early in the project show quality cornish were crossed in. I had a hard time breeding away from the short cornish leggs.
    I agree good brahmas have a "look". The prominent brow ridge, kind of a predatory look. Contrary to their sweetheart temperment, I try to breed for that "Mister I am going to kick your a_ _" stare.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by