Pics of Charlie's huge stump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terri O, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I couldnt get this to go into the other thread...the first pic is the swollen stump. Now greatly enlarged from yesterday when I cut it open t find bubbles in grayish skin--no smell.

[​IMG]

This pic is of his other foot that is not affected and is what both feet looked like when I brought him in the house before it got cold.

[​IMG]

THanks for any help! As advised I changed his diet to game bird, put electrolytes in his water, gave him grit and deloused him. After thewe changes is when his foot started to swell. The reason I made the changes was because he had a pale comb and wattles--I think I'd rather have the pale comb! Terri in WI

2. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Oh man! Poor guy... What is the backstory on Charlie? Is there a thread somewhere??

3. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
  4. Terri O

5. Terri O

Hmmm--I dont think it is that...too hot. But maybe. It is so painful that he is not stepping on it at all. Terri O

6. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I guess it's infected. maybe antibotics??

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would bath his feet in warm empsom salts , rinse with iodine, let dry and then wrap with cotton gauze and vet wrap. Then I would start him on an antibiotic. It looks like an infection or something.....
    Best Wishes for him. Does he have neoprene stump boots that he can wear to walk on?

8. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Oh Terry, I am so sorry. I hope he gets better soon!

By the way... How does he get around otherwise? Do you keep him inside or does he manage OK?

9. Terri O

Chickenzoo--no I did not know there was such a thing as stump boots! He just walks on his stumps and the little pad that has kind of formed. I think I need to look into this. If he makes it through I bet he would be way more comfortable!

Strawberryfields--he is inside in a dog kennel for the winters and he has his own pen with a doghouse for sleeping in for the rest of the year. He actually stayed out pretty late a little bit this year, but when the snow came I thought his stumps would be way too cold! Have to get those boots! I wonder if doggie muk-luks would work?
    Terri O

10. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Oh bless his little heart Terri!
    After reading his history, I'm thinking he just got a little infection in his stump and now its really gotten bad. I wonder if you should lance it open and try to get out infected gunk?? He might even need to have his stump removed.
    I know this might not even be relevant, but long ago I had a teacher who had a wooden leg, and it kept irritating his stump, and he eventually got an infection and died.
    When your chicken gets well, I think it will be good to try to get some sort of covering for his stumps. I'm wondering if you could even make him splints with fake little feet, so the pressure would be distributed along the entire length of his leg and would protect his stumps.
    anyhow.........I think you need to blitzkrieg that stump from the inside and out with antibiotics. I would soak the stump in warm boiled water after you have totally cleaned (with clorax) the container he will be soaking in. In between soakings and applying antibiotic cream, I would keep it covered with clean gauze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by