Pics of Cockrell vs hen Silkies/question re: tails

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickychick7, Mar 8, 2017.

1. chickychick7

chickychick7 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    I just got these two 8 month old Silkies. The guy I got them from assured me they were hens. One week later the black one started crowing !
    I was suspicious especially of the black one since I noticed 1) His legs were so long compared to my hen 2) His tail drooped over (and had some green sheen color in it) . Then I started really at the partridge color oneclosely and noticed his tail drooped over too so I was worried about that, sure enough he started crowing a few days after. I also noticed their clucks didn't sound like my hens, they were lower/raspier pitched. I am posting some pics so hopefully it may help someone else. The splash is my hen, see how her tail doesn't droop over ? Have you all noticed this too ? Is this always the case with the tails - straighter/shorter on hens, droop over on roos ? Thank you
    [​IMG] cockerell (long legs, tail droops)

[​IMG]cockerell (tail droops)

[​IMG]cockerells

[​IMG]cockerells

[​IMG]cockerells

[​IMG] Hen (tail striaght/doesn't droop over)

[​IMG]Hen on left, cockerell on right

[​IMG]cockerell

[​IMG]cockerell

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately silkie confirmation is all over the place. By 8 months most silkies should be able to be accurately sexed as they should either be laying or crowing by that age. Until either of two things happen some can keep you guessing.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I like to see silkies facing forward with their crests pulled back to display full extent of comb. One of yours I see has a jumbo comb and it isn't even facing front.

4. chickychick7

chickychick7 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    Good point, yes both the partridge and black have big combs...I should have been more
    observant before I brought them home !

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by