1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics of eggs and a funny story...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by addiedunn, Jan 21, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So the other day I was taking some pictures of some of my eggs for another section of this forum. I had a weird ring on an egg and posted a picture to see if anyone knew what it was. It ended up being and isolated case and I haven't seen it again. I had cracked them for breakfast that morning and when I saw the spot I got the camera.
    My Mother, who lives with us and has Alzheimer's, sat at the kitchen table and watched me from the corner of her eyes. Every now and then she would catch me seeing her trying not to watch me and she would avert her gaze from the whole silly scene. This is a woman who needs help with virtually everything she does and will wear three outfits at once (layered look is chic) if I don't help her dress. So I see her trying not to watch me and I wonder what she is thinking. Is she thinking that her daughter has flipped her wig? I have to laugh, knowing that even in her plaque-filled, deteriorated brain, she knows that what I'm doing is pretty crazy. She watches as her sole caregiver moves around the kitchen and takes pictures of raw eggs in a bowl...and then actually poses them??...With the butter??
    I chuckled out loud and asked her, "Mom, do you think I'm nuts, taking pictures of my eggs?"
    She shook her head in mock arousal as though she hadn't been watching the whole thing and in her signature soothing yet encouraging voice, the voice she used so many years ago when my feelings were hurt by another kid or when I was worried about how I did on a test, the voice I really don't hear too often anymore said, "oh, honey....you're not crazy. You've really been doing very well, lately."
    I thought my gut was going to bust.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Gives you a whole different perspective on things, eh? [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing that, and know that there are warm wishes and healing thoughts coming to you and your dear mom from Tennessee!

Jenski

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    [​IMG] your mom sounds so sweet, Don't worry my mom looks at me crazy somtimes when I go on about my chickens but she always ensures me she dosen't think I am crazy...LOL

Cute little story and BEAUTIFUL EGGYS I bet those where yummy!!

4. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    This made a huge aligator tear and a lump in the throat. Not Mom but Gram, miss you! Really loved the off the wall conversations.
    Alzheimer's took all 4 grandparents. Two lived with me.

5. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Oh and BTW nice yokes! [​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There are so many difficult times while caring for a loved one with dementia that times like the one you described are rare and precious moments.

7. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks for all of the warm replies. Pullet...bless your heart for taking care of your grandparents. It ain't always easy, as you well know.
    Jenski--thank you. You can never have enough warm thoughts coming your way.

I used to blog about caregiving and I am committed to laughing every day. If you don't laugh about a lot of it, it'll get the best of you.

But then I got chickens..............lol.

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's just precious!

9. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    My grandmother had Alzheimers and at the worst point was pretty much completely gone, but there were times when the family would be together, someone would tell a joke and there she would be, laughing along with us like she was following the whole conversation. Her eyes would just light up like she was young.

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Man reading that made me wish my mom was still here, how I long to have one more moment with her...............Thanks for sharing that with us..............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by