Pics of Eggs & What Breed Layed Them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylilchix, Nov 24, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

As our girls have started recently I've been trying to piece together which hen is laying which egg. I'd love to see the different egg colors from the different breeds to compare them to. Here's what I've figured out so far...

2 eggs from our white cochins.
    [​IMG]

We have 2 RIR laying, and here is one of their eggs.
    [​IMG]

I think this is from one of our salmon faverolles, but I'm not sure. Any other guesses?
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see more pictures!!
    Sonja

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That last one looks like my Brahma eggs, actually. Even my Buff Brahma's daughter she has with Suede, my Blue Orp, lays eggs like that. I call them golf ball eggs.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  3. mylilchix

Hmmm, we do have a light brahma and a buff brahma who both look ready to lay. It could be them. What do australorp eggs look like?

Sonja

4. speckledhen

I dont have any of those. Surely someone has a pic of an Australorp egg here. However, the egg isn't exactly the same every time, even from the same bird. One of my ten Barred Rock girls lays a roundish egg, too, that I could possibly mistake for my Brahma eggs.

5. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

that last one looks like an egg we got from our salmon faverole

6. mylilchix

It is a light creamy color. Both of our faverolles look ready to lay, and my ds saw one hopping in the nest box the other day. I thought brahma eggs were more brown than cream.

Sonja

7. speckledhen

My light Brahma lays a brown egg, however, my Buff Brahma lays a light creamy porcelain colored egg, almost white. There are lots of shades of brown, cream, tan, beige, etc.
    EDITED TO ADD PICS

This is from my Lt. Brahma last year:

[​IMG]

This is my Buff Brahma's first egg, which has become lighter even, over time:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  8. mylilchix

[​IMG] So it's either my faverolles or my brahmas or both laying those eggs. We have been getting them everyday so it could be a mix of them. Cool!!
    Sonja

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Here are eggs from four of our girls. From the left they are RIR, EE, Australorp (only her third egg so it is fairly small), and BR. The RIR egg looks darker irl than it does in the picture but the Australorp egg is definitely the darkest. The BR egg is a pinky color and the EE egg is cream (I need more EEs so I can have green eggs).

[​IMG]

10. mylilchix

Beautiful eggs everyone!!! So looking at my cream egg it could be from my lone EE, my brahmas, or my faverolles. We had gotten 3 EEs from the feeds store. Still kinda ticked with the owner because he picked out 2 of our 3 because of their coloring. Those 2 turned out to be roos!! [​IMG] It makes me really mad because he sowre up and down that they only ordered pullets. I understand that there is room for error, but 2 out of 3 is pretty bad. I do plan on getting some ture ameraucanas (sp?) from a breeder in the spring. Can't wait!!! I'd love to see more egg pics. This is really helping me!!
    Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by