1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics of free range guineas and keets..

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by critters, Jun 22, 2012.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

W[​IMG]
    Was in a bad mood to start the day off til I went out to give fresh cool water to everyone when up walks these
    cutie pies......my free range guineas brought their babies for me to see....the peafowl where checking them out...[​IMG]
    I don't take good pictures but had to share these since it's the first time I have seen any free range keets...[​IMG]
    the couple actually had 15 keets, 2 of them buff colored, but I scooped up 8 of the keets and put them in
    my brooder inside....I hope these little guys make it! aren't they cute!![​IMG]Hope you liked my pics!

2. IslandCrow

IslandCrow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Spanish Wells, Bahamas.
    Im so jealous! They are fresh to death My guineas are all about 5 months old now guess I wont see babies til next year huh? Amazing shots btw dont see how you could say that you dont take good shots! Pretty peacock too

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Congrats Critters, definitely a mood changer! Hope the parents do a good job of raising them [​IMG]
    Great pics, Thanks for sharing!!!

4. OHSpartan

OHSpartan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Ohio
    Congrats on the hatch! Keets are so cute!

5. LovePolish

LovePolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Missouri
    Awww so cute! Congrats on the new babies [​IMG]

6. Buckhunter76

Buckhunter76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Brown County Ohio
    Aww, their cute [​IMG]

7. critters

Thanks All! sure put a smile on my face!![​IMG]

8. toby1959

toby1959 Out Of The Brooder

I always take them all away, they are lousy mothers, good hatchers but lousy mothers. Somebody needs to teach them how to count. They always seem to lose them

9. critters

I now agree.....she has none left and it is so sad but if I am lucky enough
    to see more baby keets from another guinea I too will take them all....

10. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Bummer Critters... that's stinks. Good thing you managed to take half away and get them in a brooder. It's always a good idea to confine the Momma and keets to an area in the coop or pen for a week or so... 'til the babies are a little heartier and rest of the flock has a chance to get used to them. I don't have that option tho, when I finally let my brooding Guinea hatch some keets out, and I'm worried about it. I keep swapping out her eggs on day 24/25 and bringing them in to hatch, cuz I needed the keets to fill orders and I have been worried if I let the Momma finish the job she'll be left with none in no time too. So I've basically been using her as a spare incubator, (a cranky one) lol. She's been really good about getting off the nest for me and getting back on and accepting a younger batch of eggs each time at least, lol (but is always very vocal and tattles to the rest of the flock about me taking her eggs). I think by the time I finally do let her hatch some out she'll either be so ticked off that she'll kill them all out of frustration, or she'll be a REALLY protective Momma and do a really good job. She's on another 12 eggs that are due soon... and I am stressin' about them already. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by