pics of guard dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Freeranger, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Freeranger

Freeranger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    if you have any like shepards or collies or great pyerneses please send them to me

thank you

2. You might want to try searching Google Images for pics of Livestock Gaurdian Dogs, Boer Goats, and Potbelly Pigs [​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    here you go... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Adorable pix.What good pooches.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    My babygirl...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally sweet with peeps, cats, kids, etc...but she'll tear a foo' up if necessary.

6. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    [​IMG] MY Buddy Rowland
    [​IMG] And my sweetheart Konya

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Here is my LGD. I turn her out when the chickens free range because she doesn't care about the chickens, but heaven help another critter that comes on her property:

[​IMG]

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    silly Buster heelers aren't large guard dogs, they are MGD. [​IMG] No smart person would tangle with a heeler no matter what the size.

I love the pic of the dog w/the sheep. When I was in hs I had a blue heeler that loved my sheep like that.

Freddie taking a break from 'guard dog' duty. Something caught his eye. He loves to catch snowballs but isnt much of a retreiver. He thinks if you are just going to throw it again, he isnt going to bring it back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:And here I thought that LGD was short for Livestock Guardian Dog. You are right though, no one would mess with them- except for mine- she loves everyone. [​IMG] They just have to get past the fearsome growl and bark first and the hair standing on end. Even the thought of having to deal with a 60 lb heeler like her is enough to deter most people with bad intentions.

Other dogs, coyotes, and small predators are another story all together. She has no tolerance for any of them invading her territory.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  10. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    ooops I thought LGD meant large.

Whether your dog loves everyone or not, I am not going to tempt her. I have seen the ferocity of heelers in action especially on varmints

Freddie is opposite, he likes no one (out of fear) and all critters are safe...unless they 'talk' to him. ie squirrells, woodchucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by