Pics of Hive check + QUEEN!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, May 1, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well today I got into my hives after school and checkout what I found...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND THE QUEEN [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Crowing

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Awesome.[​IMG]

3. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    thats great
    i need a few bee hives around to help pollunate
    is there any way to build a hive and bees just come to it?
    we need more bees badly

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. kinnip

kinnip Songster

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    That is soooo cool! I want bees bad. Are yours Italian?

5. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yep both hives are Italians...also starting up another hive probably in June of Survivor Stock bees. Which are a mix of all races with colored italian/mixed queens...getting a pitch black queen.
    [​IMG]

6. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread-honest! [​IMG] I was just curious though, what do you guys think the reason might be as to why the bees are being decimated in this country? Pollution, pesticides.....? I'm so glad that your hives are humming!

7. kinnip

kinnip Songster

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    They're really pretty. Please post a pic of your other hive and your fancy, black queen.

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I notice your hands are not covered, don't they sting you at all? And where could we get our hands on a beesuit? or at least one of those bee hats?

9. SamG347

SamG347 Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    What is really killing the bees in this country is American Foulbrood and the Varroa mite. The Varroa mite is a lot more common though and it is really our fault. Many people are treating their bees for the mites and making the bees reliant on us to keep them healthy. That is what me and my friend/local beek are trying to stray away from. I use ONLY foundationless hives....where as he uses both foundation and foundationless....but he is doesn't use any chemicals to treat his hives.

And yes I do not where gloves and nooo you can and will get stung on the hand lol. Happened to me just last week...completely my fault though. I wear just reg Blue jeans....long sleeve shirt and a veil. I just like protecting my face....but my bees are very gentle. But every hive can have its bad day. And I know of several beekeeping suppliers if you would like a link you can just PM me if you want.
    I could probably also sell you one depending on what our supply looks like. The guy I work for/my friend also sells beekeeping equipment.

[​IMG]

10. breezy

breezy Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Awesome pics... Im so jealous. I want to get a couple of top bar hives but I think other things are going to have to come first...like a new roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by