1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics of home made freeder please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 18, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I want to make a feeder that my gils cant dump over please show me your solutions

2. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Funny you should ask, I just built this yesterday with leftover deck scraps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I have 5 hens - and 2 roosters - they have a dog dish for their food - it's one of those ones that is square plastic - but it is one that doesnt tip - they don't poop in it or perch on it - it was intended as a temporary measure - but it seems to be working so I'm not messing with it. Wierd thing is - their water is just a metal water bowl for dogs too - and they don't mess with it at all... go figure

I will try to get a pic up here for it after i get a chance to get it from my phone

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, I have a big pan (like from an old dry sink) and it gets gross everyday. That is my next project....... [​IMG]

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    Easy and pretty inexpensive to make. They hang by screws in the studs. No tipping over and spilling.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mine is similar to the first, used half a sheet of 1/2" plywood and some leftover wood. It has a piece in the bottom inside that goes / to a 1/2" opening to help gravity feed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    thanks for the pics I have some ideas now.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Gallo del Cielo made a treadle feeder- it's on his BYC page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by