1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics of homemade waters and feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Freeranger, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Freeranger

Freeranger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    if you have cool ideas for feeders and waters made from stuff you can buy or laying around the house, please post pics.
    thank you

2. jackrabbit

jackrabbit New Egg

Feb 13, 2009
    I use a deer feeder for feeding when I am away from home. My chicks free range during the day so only enough food is required to get them in the coop at night.[​IMG]
    I had to put a skirt on this particular feeder to keep the feed from scattering to far. But u can set it up to auto feed four times a day and it holds @ 150 pounds of feed.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. farmerbrown

farmerbrown Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2009
    SW VA
    Take a good size PVC pipe and cap both sides. Run it down your table saw, use a dermal, jig saw, drill, or what ever you can think of to cut a spot for them to eat out of it. Use a 90* elbow and it will keep it self full if you play around with it and don’t over fill it.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

[​IMG]

The one that there head is in is a feeder. It works great for pelleted food or grains. It will not work for mash. The one on the left is a waterier. It is made the same way but I glued the cap on the top. You lay it on its back to fill it up an then stand it back up.

I now use the same thing built out of 3 an 4 inch pipe. They hold around 3 gallons each. The waterier, I added a ball valve at the bottom an a removable cap. Now ya just shut of the valve an you can remove the cap an fill it with water.

I got a deal the other day on mash feed so I ran a wire all the way down the pipe, around the elbow, out a hole I drilled in the lip of the elbow an across the cage. Now every time a chicken walks across the cage they move the wire which keeps the food coming down.

[​IMG]

I don't have any robbing with these feeders an they cant bill the feed out. Its neat watching them stand in line to eat to. The don't gorge them selves as much now an I'm saving on feed.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Thanks, I have about 100' of 4' pipe and i was wondering if it would work well. Iv'e used them for deer feeders before but ended up feeding everything but the deer. lol. I'm also thinking about a Tee fitting on the bottom with 2 90 degree ells so 2 can eat at same time.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:I thought about that but the T fitting cost a lot. The one at a time thing is only an issue if you let it run out. A 3 in to one fitting would work without the elbows.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Yes even pvc fittings are expensive sometimes but i'm a plumber and probably can come up with some laying around.

8. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i see building the feeder, but not the waterer i paid $15 for an auto and i'll never have to carry water or drag a hose again, when it gets dryer and warmer i'm doing the pvc feeder but i'm dropping it from a storage tote with a lid to increase feed hold

9. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

I did one with 2inch pcv with the tee fitting it works ok but you need to add 3inch of straight pipe to each side or some of the chickens will spill feed out on the ground

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  10. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by