Pics of Impacted Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuntrygirl, Jul 26, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have been researching and reading on the forum about impacted crops and have been following everyone's suggestions but nothing has worked so far. My girl has had an impacted crop since last Thursday. I will continue to follow everyone's suggestions for as long as I can. I just wanted to post up close pics of her impacted crop for everyone to see how big her crop really is. Her crop is the size of a softball. My girl is about 2 months old. She is not showing any signs or symptoms that she is in pain. She is happy go lucky as if nothing is wrong with her.

Thanks to everyone for all of the past information that has been posted on impacted crops. It sure does help on what to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Have you seen the 'Crop Surgery' topics? Do a search, here is a successful one - not all are.

Crop Surgery

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I have seen it and I am sooooo scared to do that. I have been reading for a few days. I don't feel confident that I can do it. I'm so so so scared. I applaud those who have performed the surgery. I wish that I had the skill, the patience and confidence to perform that surgery. I read the posts every day in hopes I can bring myself to do that.

Thanks for posting that information.

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Perhaps, you could ask if there is anyone near you with experience of the surgery, or PM the folks who have done it asking for more details.

I have no experience of that kind of surgery and am way too far away and I don't know if I could bring myself to do it either, but to be fair there are a whole heap of other things I've done with chickens that I never thought I could and once it's done you think 'Hey, it wasn't so bad after all'

I think it's worth asking if someone is close enough to you to help out.

5. erock

erock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Batavia, IL
    I just did one of these surgeries last Sunday night. I just couldn't take looking at his hen all bloated. I followed what a lot of people said on here and it worked pretty much as they said. The hen was pretty relaxed and cool through the whole thing, not much blood at all and it was great to get all the stuff out of there and pulled out some pretty good sized stones as well. It has been a week and she is looking really good. So if it comes to that, I encourage you to do your homework and see what others did and do the same. It really wasn't all that bad and she is much happier as a result.

Best of luck to you with your bird.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Have you done the olive oil methed? It worked great last time I had a chickie with an impacted crop.. [​IMG] Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by