Pics of inside your coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TennesseeTruly, Apr 16, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My husband is modifying our barn for our chickens and because neither one of us was raised on a farm, we really don't know how to do this. We're looking for pics of inside your coops so we can get an idea of what our chickens really need.

Can anyone help us out?

Thanks so much in advance!

Laurie

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I converted a 12 x 12 ft horse shelter into my coop for 10 dual purpose chicks.

Mine are now 8 wks old and in the coop for 1 1/2 wks now. I moved their stock tank brooder out with them that I maintain a 250 watt red heat lamp on because it still gets down to the 30's here in Pacific NW. Even though I provided a roost that I placed another heat lamp above, they still choose to use the brooder to sleep in at night. And play on the roost during the day.

When they get closer to egg laying age, I plan to turn the stock tank on its side, raise it up a little and place rubbermaid tubs with half the front cut off and shavings placed in the tank to use as their nests for easy removal for cleaning.

I got the larger feeder and waterer hung up level with their backs and it stays so much cleaner than when I had the baby size in their brooder. Very few shavings get kicked up in there.

Besides the roost I plan to make bigger when they get bigger, I have a large deck storage box that I used to keep one bale of hay in for storage. They do like to get up on that to see out the bars (window).

I love the size of mine. Yes - it does seem large for just 10 chicks but is just a joy to sit on my little stool I keep out there and visit with them.

AND I do have room for more maybe someday.

Front of the stall that I zip tied hardware cloth to
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside coop looking through the hardware cloth to the backyard[​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Here the interior of my little coop. It's just big enough for 4 chickens. One roost only and one nestbox, as you can see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Here's one of mine. Roosts on the left, nest boxes on the right, Water and feed under the window.
    [​IMG]

Here's the other one. It's long and narrow. Food, nest boxes and waterers on the right, roosts and doors to the run on the left.
    [​IMG]

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by