Pics of Laying-Ready Hens Anyone?

Wow, my pullets are supposed to be about 22 weeks old, but their combs and wattles are nowhere near that big. Are they just late bloomers?
One brahma, one bantam frizzled cochin (who is the most developed of the bunch, but still smaller-combed than the photos above - about the size of the one that says she's a month away), one bantam marans, and one bantam polish/andalusian cross (I think).
Luckily I have one young adult red star that lays a large egg a day, like clockwork.

wee.gif

Lizanne, way to go! I'm so jealous. I wish I could join you in the first egg count. These are also my first chickens ever, so the suspense is killing me.

Lizgarf, mine are about 22 weeks also, and mine don't seem quite that developed either. My SLW has a very red comb and large wattle, but my two buff orpingtons have medium-ish combs but tiny little wattles! I want eggs SO bad.

I had originally read somewhere that they would start laying around 4-5 months, but now I'm reading much more that says it could end up being more like 6 or 7! I'm disappointed..I hope it's sooner rather than later. Has anyone with Wyandottes or Orpingtons had their first egg really late?

Wow, my pullets are supposed to be about 22 weeks old, but their combs and wattles are nowhere near that big. Are they just late bloomers?
One brahma, one bantam frizzled cochin (who is the most developed of the bunch, but still smaller-combed than the photos above - about the size of the one that says she's a month away), one bantam marans, and one bantam polish/andalusian cross (I think).
Luckily I have one young adult red star that lays a large egg a day, like clockwork.

From what I have read, Brahma and Cochins are slower to mature, usually start laying after 28 weeks

Finally got my first egg today!! It was one of my BO's that layed it, and it's just perfect. Just like Christmas morning! I can't wait for more!

Here's my Golden Comet "Louise" caught in the act of laying her first egg at 18 weeks. She is 25 weeks now. I put white ceramic eggs in each box to give them an idea where to lay. Works like a charm. Good Luck!

Congrats! Picture time!
My friend's Buff Orp was also the first in their flock. Mine all look to still be a way's away, except for my one adult red link, Stella, who keeps on churning them out.

Back
Top Bottom