Chicken Keith

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 1, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama (Go Vols)
IMG_4085.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG

I swear these pics make him(her?) look weak and lethargic. He's(She's?) anything but that! Very very spry, jumps around like a mouse. He's(She's) the only survivor of three eggs placed in my Brinsea Octagon 20 back on May 25th. My 5 yr old step grandson named him(her) Chase. His (Her) beak and head are a little crooked from being breech and stuffed in the eggshell too long, I thought he'd(she'd) answer better to "Sideways." But Chase is the name I reckon.

When I was a teenager, 40 yrs ago, I had pet bantams. But no bird has ever been so attached to measmuch as this lonely bird. I never see it eat its protein crumbles--but then I never saw his parents mate so maybe peafowl are just discreet. I've watered the crumbles, to make them soft, I've fed him(her) scrambled eggs which it really relishes. I've fed it blackberries, tomato, strawberries, banana, blueberries, kiwi fruit, lettuce, dandelion greens. It is a finicky eater! I'm thinking of some catfood. I was told after 2 weeks they pretty much get the hang of eating. So, this is my first time handraising a pea chick. They are worlds different from raising Marans chickens, I tell ya. After 3 days, baby chicks run scared from ya. Not this little fella(gal?) would be content as all get out to sit on my tummy in the chair all day as long as I was near.

Below is a pic of his father, Buddy:
IMG_4073.JPG

Be careful with offering it so many treats. You may want to stick to a complete feed for while to make sure it is eating.
AND make sure you offer free choice grit with all those treats.

Be careful with offering it so many treats. You may want to stick to a complete feed for while to make sure it is eating.
AND make sure you offer free choice grit with all those treats.

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking of these as treats, as I was concerned it wasn't eating its complete food at all. These items were being fed just to ensure it was getting nutrition, as it didn't seem to care for the protein crumbles. Being a sole chick, I had to teach it to eat, and was told the first two weeks are critical. Now, I suspect it is eating. I have electrolyte solution in water provided that is usually fed to young poultry to give them a boost. And boy does this chick show boost.

But I appreciate your advice and will be careful not to feed too much of the wrong thing out of balance. Thanks, keep the advice coming. This is new ground for me.

Have you tried a feather duster, stuff animal & mirror? That's what I use for single chick raising. Really think it's "spoiled" which is so easy to do, ha ha Cutie!
Check, check and check! Except the stuffed animal is a rubber ducky we keep in our swimming pool. My wife joked that I am the father, the feather duster is the mother and the chick is the result of my consummation with the feather duster.

Question: Do spoiled lonely peachicks ever become "unspoiled"? This bird will eventually move outside to be with the other fowl. Will this be a problem?

Back
Top Bottom