1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pics of meat bird setups, please

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lorihadams, Sep 4, 2009.

1. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    We want to get some meat chickens soon and I was wondering if you all could show me how you set up your meat chickens. Do you start them outside or keep them inside in a brooder for a couple of weeks. Never done meaties before so I would love to see some pics of your meat bird setups. Thanks!

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I just bought some Dixie Rainbow meaties in August. They are in my coop, but separate from my laying flock. I gave them an area with a brooder light. I put pine shavings down. They are almost all feathered out. Right now we are finishing up their run. So hopefully they will be able to go outside in just a few days. My
    Grandpa always got his meaties (Cornish Xs) in April and had a light on them until they were older. He always had them in the coop from day one. Hope this helps!

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Hey jaku how predator proof is that pen do you think it would stand up against coons or coyotes?

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    We go from this....
    [​IMG]
    next to this...
    [​IMG]
    Then to this....
    [​IMG]
    Til the last day to this....
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps and you enjoyed your tour..... Will

6. lorihadams

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Thank you for the pics! Jaku, do you separate them into 4 sections? Am I seeing that right?

7. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:Was that a serious question?

8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    kind of more of the coons then the coyotes
    if you made it of wood would it stand better?

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not predator proof AT ALL! My first tractor I built like a tank. 2x2's, hardware cloth, latches, even 2x10's all around it to keep animals from digging in. I live in the middle of several hundred wooded acres in Michigan, so I figured I'd have horrible predator problems. Then- nothing. No tracks around it, no digging attempts, not a single sign of a predator. But, the darn thing was so heavy that I could barely move it. I'd run over and nearly crush birds because I couldn't feel them under it if they were too lazy to move when I was moving it. Any non-level surface and the 2x2's wouldn't flex, and I was left with a gap between the bottom of the coop and the ground. I HATED it. So, I put it on Craigslist and built this one. I'll never go back- it works great.

The four sections are just the framework of the SCH 40 PVC. It's one big opening inside. The bottom frame just holds it together better.

10. lorihadams

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Anyone use hoop houses for meaties? I am just looking for something that will hold 25 birds at the most and be easy enough for me to move by myself. We have never done this before so I only want to build this once!

Anyone else have pics for me???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by