Pics of my 3 and 4 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristenm1975, Apr 1, 2012.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Just thought I'd share. They're at the adorable ugly stage. :)
    [​IMG]
    An Ameraucana from the Issaquah Grange

[​IMG]
    A second Ameraucana from Issaquah Grange (These two may actually only be two weeks old, I forget.)

[​IMG]
    This is a terrible picture, but this is my 2 (?) week old Giant Barred Cochin pullet, also from the Issaquah Grange.

[​IMG]
    This an adorable Golden Sexlink with the little Giant Barred Cochin. What a cutie she is!

[​IMG]
    Here are my oldest chicks. A White Leghorn and a Sicilian Buttercup, both feathering out nicely.

[​IMG]
    These two ladies are about 3 weeks, I think. They are both from My Pet Chicken. On the left is my Partridge Penedesenca and on the right is the tough little Ancona. Very excited about the chocolate eggs from the lady on the left!

[​IMG]
    This little one is obviously a Silkie, but I don't know whether she's a Buff or a Partridge. Any guesses?

Thank you!

2. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I have 13 babies that are currently in their goofy adolescent phase lol! love it [​IMG]

3. gambit2178

gambit2178 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    CALI
    They are so cute...how big do they get though?

4. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Cute little ones. The folks at The Grange are real nice folks.

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have 13 total too. It's my little baker's dozen, as a result of chicken math. The Grange gave me the last four for free when I bought a 50 lb sack of feed a book on chicken care. Can't resist free fluffballs! :) That's where the Golden Sexlink, the Giant Barred Cochin and two of the Ameraucanas came from. The people that work there at the grange are all super nice.

As far as how big the chicks will get, well, I've got all sizes represented in my 13. The Silkies are going to be tiny, the Giant Cochin is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of ten pounds I think, maybe a little less. I have several Mediterranean type hens (Leghorn, Ancona, Buttercup, Penedesenca) who will be tall but lean. The Ameraucanas, Rhode Island Red, and the Welsummer will be midsize but stockier.

I will eventually sell the Buttercup, the Silkies and possibly one of the Ameraucanas as I will be putting all the birds into two Catawba Converticoops I'm in the process of making. The coops can fit 4 large birds each (cochin-size), 5 midsize (Mediterranean), or 6 banties so as I have a mix of sizes, I can get away with having ten total birds (as long as no city officials come a-counting chickens. :)

Here's a picture of what the two coops are going to look like when I'm done with them. I built these for these for other people two years ago.

[​IMG]
    This one is the pine coop and will need to be painted or coated with boiled linseed oil or similar, to combat all the liquid sunshine we've been getting lately. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one is my favorite. It's entirely cedar and is SO gorgeous. I can't wait to get them into the backyard and fill them with my sweet little chickens. The rainbow eggs coming from this crew is going to put a permanent smile on my face. [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    :love I love the picture of the Partridge and Ancona together, it's so cute!
    You're right, they are pretty ugly, but their little mannerisms more than make up for it. ;)
    I personally love the stage when they have grown very large but as they have no combs yet their heads seem to shrink away to nothing... :lol:

7. musikfan6

musikfan6 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Lititz, PA
    Yeah,

Mine are 3 weeks old today, and they are also at that "adorable ugly stage" that you mentioned. I have 5 RIR's and they are pretty ugly right now with the darker feathers coming in over the lighter ones. They don't look real great, but they seem to act very healthy.

Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by