Pics of my brooder house...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmgirljen, Apr 27, 2009.

1. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    This is a shed that I was using for some horse tack- but it makes a much better brooer house for chicks! It has a window facing east out the back to get the morning sun, is warm and dry, and nothing can get in and get them..
    [​IMG]

I used aluminum framed window screens and screwed them onto the studs inside the shed... That way no one gets lost in the woodwork, or eats the tar paper lining the inside of the siding... The front screens are low enough we can step over. we put shavings down, place the feeders, and hung a heat lamp...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We kept the chickies inside the house for the first 24 hours before moving them to the brooder shed- my son enjoyed helping settle them into their new digs...
    [​IMG]

One of our cats "Toes" likes to check on the babies with us- she perches on a stool just inside thedoorway, and peeks atthem through the screen...
    [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks great!

Nice set up. [​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Very cool idea.. Adorable lil fuzzies... I cant tell if the cat is thinking " mmm easy meal.. or hey you stop pecking on that one , dont make me come in there... Almost looks like the cat and the lil yellow one are having a staring contest...

4. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    That's awesome! We're working on the same thing right now for our chicks.

Question - how do you have your heat light attached? I'm trying to think of the best way to drape it down like you did.

Also, how far off the ground is yours from the chicks?

5. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I hang a length of dog chain from a nail in the rafter of my coop, and use a threaded chain link to attach it to the hanger loop on my heat lamp. This allows me to very simply move it up and down as needed without fear of it falling.

6. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    I used a piece of baling twine with a loop tied in the middle of it- I tied it off each end on eye bolts I put on the studs. for the light itself, I hung it off of the loop wiht a piece of wire, and then I was able to adjust the height by raising or lowering the twine at either end... I have also sine switched otuthe lamp covers for a bigger cover that projects a broader area.

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Looks good. Kitty looks like he likes it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by