Pics of my broody girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkhope, Aug 8, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I don't know where else to post this but I just wanted to share pics of my determined girls. They're hot as hades and I have a fan pointed their direction for a constant breeze (103 degrees here today) and I mist constantly when I get home. Any other suggestions to keep them cool?? I tried to give them new larger boxes before this all started but they wouldn't take to them!! They kept rolling their eggs out and laying them on the ground!! So I gave these boxes back...

They have 11 eggs between the three of them. The bystander hangs out almost all the time, but it could be due to the fan too [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the impatient father... he hangs out in their boxes as well. I'm sure he's lonely with only one hen to court.

[​IMG]

Thanks for letting me share!! I'm new to this whole broody thing, so it's very exciting!!

Ashley

2. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Soooo.... do no comments mean I'm doing something wrong with these girls and no one wants to say??? [​IMG]

3. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    Congratulations! I really wish I had a broody hen (now that I've said that, all will go broody next year!) Looks like you're doing everything right and doing your best to keep them cool.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Three in a row!!!! [​IMG] They look so cute sitting there.

Don't worry about no responses in the middle of the day, most people are at work and some don't have online access at work. I'm always online because I sit at home all day online. I tell DH it's because I'm running my business. [​IMG]

5. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Lovely birds! Good luck.

(I really want a broody too! [​IMG] )

6. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Hey Silkhope, that sure is a nice lookin rooster!

I love looking at everyones silkies, I think I am going to have to get a couple for myself. [​IMG]

I feel your pain with this heat we are having. I can't wait until fall rolls back around.

Hope everything goes well and you get lots of chicky babies!!

7. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Can I ask about your nest boxes on the ground. Do Silkes prefer those? Do they stay clean? I have mine on the wall and my girls won't use them.

8. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry about seeming needy!!! LOL! I got these silkies from someone on the board a while back so I'm very new to Silkies and these baby making machines! My other chickens were standard and didn't go broody. So I get a little paranoid some times [​IMG]

TundraChick, my silkies will not/do not fly, they barely "hop" up onto those boxes you see there. I made a roost for them 5-6 inches off the ground and they won't use it. They sleep on the floor... do yours roost?

Edited to add that yes, they do stay clean. They only go in them to lay eggs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  9. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    No they wont roast either, they huddle in the corner. I got my first egg yesterday and she laid it in the middle of the coop on the floor. I just had hubbie lower the boxes last night. Tthey are only about 8 inches off the the floor now. i will try your method but I cant ask for another change in this heat, it was awful last night...

Well they may not roost but they may roast in this heat...Have to laugh at myself...so I'll leave the typo...lol

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  10. silkhope

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    LOL they might definitely roast in this weather!!!

I would probably move the boxes to the ground, away from their food, water and sleeping area. I don't think Silkies can fly more then a few inches off the ground because of their type of feathers. I had to actually cut half the front out (dipped it) so they could get in there easier.

Hopefully next week I'll have baby pics to share!!

Ashley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by