1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pics of my chicks! (7 Pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cookinmom, Mar 22, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Here are some of my babies:

[​IMG]

Eleanor (named after Eleanor Roosevelt, very independent)

[​IMG]

Cleo(patra) and Hot Rod resting:

[​IMG]

Melody & Rachel:

[​IMG]

Should we jump in?

[​IMG]

or Should we jump out?

[​IMG]

Just resting:

[​IMG]

2. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    What pretty little birds!

3. jimrichter

jimrichter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Bloomington, IN
    Great looking birds--what are the breeds?

Jim

4. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    The ones we're sure of are

2 Buff Orps (Melody and Rachel -- named after 2 of my daughter's blonde friends [​IMG])
    2 Ameraucana (both look different; they are Cleo and Eleanor)
    2 SL Wyandottes (Doris & Gloria)
    1 RIR (Hot Rod)
    1 White Leghorn (Pearl)

These are all girls. Of the remaining 9, one is supposed to be a Black Australorp pullet, and one Barred Rock pullet. 6 unidentified males were thrown in too for warmth, and we're just starting to see who they are. All of these chicks look the same though. One died, she was the same except she had a whitish patch on top of her head. I say "her" because I think she may have been the barred rock pullet, but I'm not sure.

I noticed yesterday that in the sunlight, all the generic ones looked kind of irridescent; their feathers are black, and had kind of a greenish purplish look, so I'm thinking they are all black australorps. We'll be keeping the pullet once I can be sure which one she is, and a friend of mine is taking the roos, because I am WAY too squeamish to kill and eat them!

5. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I noticed yesterday that in the sunlight, all the generic ones looked kind of irridescent; their feathers are black, and had kind of a greenish purplish look, so I'm thinking they are all black australorps. We'll be keeping the pullet once I can be sure which one she is, and a friend of mine is taking the roos, because I am WAY too squeamish to kill and eat them!

This sounds just like my black australorp, Sydney She is very pretty​

6. cornishman

cornishman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    nice looking chicks...good job of keeping them clean...keep this up and you will continue to have healthy chickens...cornishman.[​IMG]

7. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Black australorps are very pretty. All our girls should be pretty, except the EE/Amer. might not be, even though they are really cute chicks. I picked them mostly for the cool colors of eggs.

They're looking really funny right now. Their baby fluff is coming loose between their feathers, and they're getting kind of shaggy. My son took one look at Eleanor, the dark brown one with the fuzzy cheeks, and says "that is one ugly chicken." She really is cute in her own special kind of way![​IMG]

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Awww... I was going to say that I love Eleanor! She has a look that is all her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by