Pics of my Coturnix.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Petej, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Better than Cell-phone pics anyway.

Some stills taken from a video I shot.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, those are crushed cookies in the food dish. Spoiled rotten they are!!

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well...I don't want to judge anyone, but 75-90% of the stuff in your feeder is either to large for them to eat, or just plane bad for them.

You may want to raise rats or mice. Just my opinion. I'm not judging anyone.

Cookies may spoil people.......Oh Brother...I'm not going to say anything else.

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Nice Pix. How old are your birds Pete? I got some that will 4 weeks monday. Lookin forward to get'in them OUTSIDE!! Is that a brooder there in or a pen? Bill

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sorry..hate to say it but i have to agree with Joe...what is it you have in there for food anyway?

5. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Sorry..hate to say it but i have to agree with Joe...what is it you have in there for food anyway?

Thanks for hating to agree with me [​IMG]

Looks like cookies and rabbit food to me, but who can really tell from a picture?

6. mhwc56

Thanks for hating to agree with me [​IMG]

Looks like cookies and rabbit food to me, but who can really tell from a picture?

Joe ...[​IMG] (LOL smart aleck!) i'm sorry that we sound critical of the poster..petej..but i DO agree with you ....

Petej ..sugars and salts as well a bunch of other "foods" that people consume and enjoy are either not good for birds or actually life threatening/ harmful to their lives.
    Quail need a high protein GAMEBIRD STARTER Crumbles diet (24-28%).If you want to give them "treats" and "spoil "them,then add fresh greens such as kale,collards, cabbage,brussel sprouts to their diet, also they love orange,apple, tomatoes and cucumbers.
    Hope this helps..

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    How many roosters to hens?

8. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for hating to agree with me [​IMG]

Joe ...[​IMG] (LOL smart aleck!) i'm sorry that we sound critical of the poster..petej..but i DO agree with you ....

Petej ..sugars and salts as well a bunch of other "foods" that people consume and enjoy are either not good for birds or actually life threatening/ harmful to their lives.
    Quail need a high protein GAMEBIRD STARTER Crumbles diet (24-28%).If you want to give them "treats" and "spoil "them,then add fresh greens such as kale,collards, cabbage,brussel sprouts to their diet, also they love orange,apple, tomatoes and cucumbers.
    Hope this helps..

I hate to agree with you....I really don't. I actually agree with you, on more points than one.

#1. Just because your birds "LOVE" something, doesn't mean it's good for them!

#2. Yes, quail need a high protein, high quality (COMPLETE) GAME BIRD ration to thrive. (not rabbit pellets and stale cookies)

#3. Any and all of your fruit/veggie suggestions are ok with me.

Avoid white/wheat bread, pasta and anything that turns into pure sugar in a GI tract in any animal. That's just me!

9. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:Joe ...[​IMG] (LOL smart aleck!) i'm sorry that we sound critical of the poster..petej..but i DO agree with you ....

Hope this helps..

I hate to agree with you....I really don't. I actually agree with you, on more points than one.

#1. Just because your birds "LOVE" something, doesn't mean it's good for them!

#2. Yes, quail need a high protein, high quality (COMPLETE) GAME BIRD ration to thrive. (not rabbit pellets and stale cookies)

#3. Any and all of your fruit/veggie suggestions are ok with me.

Avoid white/wheat bread, pasta and anything that turns into pure sugar in a GI tract in any animal. That's just me!

OK, so to quell some tempers...

First off, I'm not offended. Any suggestions are welcome since I am new to raising Quail. [​IMG]

The layer feed you see is what was left in the feeder. It's not rabbit food. I crushed it up and they left the pieces I missed. It's been refilled with Game Bird feed since then....( I used the layer feed in a pinch, since the DW took the car before I was able to head to the farm store.)

The cookies are a treat and didn't stay in long at all. I did break them up more, but they wouldn't touch them.... (They will eat veggies though!) I have tossed in some larger pieces of veggies which they push around the cage. This seems to keep them from attacking each other, so every once in a while I place some large piece of fruit/veggie in there for them to push around/peck at.

I usually don't give them bread/wheat/junk, but I was giving the chickens a treat (stale bread), so I decided to see what they will eat. Which I found out, isn't much.... Turns out, the chickens won't eat stale cookies either.....

The birds themselves are about 6 months old. They will eat the full size pellets, but not normally. As I said earlier, the layer feed was in a pinch and the receive game bird feed normally.

They are also going back outside here soon. They get to stinkin'!

10. mhwc56

it doesn't take long for them to start stinking either huh! LOL i almost started another batch of eggs in the incubator but rethought the idea when a friend reminded me of how horrid they smell inside and brought me back to reality!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by