Pics of my EE pullet - what is her color called?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lisahaschickens, Mar 27, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Chicken newbie here. I am raising my first batch of chicks (to be layers) and I have 5 EEs (also 6 Cuckoo Marans, 3 Buff Orps, and a Mystery Chick). However, one of my EEs is a totally different color than the others, and I think she is very pretty! However, I don't know what to call the color. Is this what you would call Wheaten? Or something else?

Her name is Daisy Mae, and she is buff-colored on her head and neck, and as you move down her body, her feathers are white with buff "lacing" (I think that's what you call it, but please correct me if I'm wrong), and then her back end is pure white. Here she is, any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now I call her my "blendy chicken" because her color blends from buff to white.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Sorry I don't what u call that color but she is a beauty!! [​IMG]

3. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks! [​IMG]

I hope I posted this in the right category... I wasn't sure which to use...

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Definitely different. Sorta looks "buff laced". Google "buff laced polish chickens" to see some pics. Lacing isnt very defined though, so I'm not really sure.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks just like one of my EE's.

I call her "Buff-E" ... or Buff Easter Egger

I'll have to get a pic of her for ya.

I'm going to put my blue Ameraucana roo over her I'm seeing beautiful chicks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    hmmmm.... interesting. I googled "buff laced polish chickens" as you suggested, and it almost seems like my Daisy Mae is the opposite of Buff Laced. The chickens in the pics I found have buff color on the inside of the feathers and white on the outside edges.... Daisy Mae is the other way around.

I know EEs are basically "mutts" and so it's not like she's really purebred anything or maybe not even a standard color. I was just wondering if it had a name. I think she's pretty [​IMG] It's cool that she's different :::proud mama here:::

7. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Mahonri -

that does sound beautiful! I would love to see a pic of your girl and also let me know if you make any chicks with that pair and how they come out. It would be interesting for sure!

8. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Hahaha duh I didnt even notice the coloring of the lacing was the other way around...shows how much I pay attention. Sorry.

9. lisahaschickens

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    no sweat! I appreciate the feedback. I had actually thought of the color "buff laced" myself, because I thought I'd heard of it before, but when I googled it, I got nothing.... "buff laced chicken,"buff laced hen," buff laced cochin" (don't ask me why I tried that one, it just popped into my head)... but your suggestion of "buff laced polish chickens" at least got me finally to several good pictures of the color. Now I know that maybe we can call Daisy Mae's color, "inside out buff laced" [​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Well, EEs are mutts, so anything can happen! We have a hen named Lillith who is almost birchen... but kind of laced too. She's very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by