Pics of my flock: Faverolles, Speckleds and Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Windy Ridge, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    This is Lily, a Wheaten Ameraucana posing for the camera.

[​IMG]

It's actually tough to get pictures of her, becuase most of the time when she sees me she comes running!

Here is Mathilde (Tillie), a sweet Salmon Faverolles hen:

[​IMG]

This is Tillie and the Dauphin, a White Faverolles rooster, taking in the view of the autumn foliage on the facing ridge:

[​IMG]

And here is a young Speckled Sussex pullet named Gloria, one of my specklediest:

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Beautiful feathered family, and gorgeous surroundings! Thanks for sharing!

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Beautiful birds and foilage. Happy birds, I can tell. [​IMG]

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Super nice , great property.

5. Windy Ridge

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Thank you. It is a great property... we love it! But we don't even live on an actual road--just a jeep trail right-of-way. It can get mighty difficult to get in and out in the winter or after a storm. It's definitely not for everyone.

(The chickens seem to like it, tho'. Of course, they're not driving. ) [​IMG]

Here's one of a couple of the boys in the old orchard. The one in front is Franklin, a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like my kind of place! Beautiful! DH would be drooling over the apple trees. He grafts heirloom apples as a hobby.

7. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    i like all your chickens they have really nice colars in them :]

8. Windy Ridge

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Quote:We have a few heirloom pippins. They're my favorites--yum! There's one tree that we simply have no idea what it is... the former owners didn't, either. It actually ripens in late June or early July. That's crazy this far north! They're quite tart, a bit like Granny Smiths, but the Grannies don't ripen until much later. Of course we lost the fruit on that tree this year to frost.

I wish we knew what our peaches were, too. It's been pretty fun discovering all the different fruit and nut trees around here... we've been here about three years. We have apples, peaches, pears, cherries, plums, mulberries, chestnuts, hickory, black walnut and persimmon. We're trying to get pawpaw growing, too, but we've had a real time with the dear eating all the small trees we've planted. They're supposed to leave pawpaws alone, though. We shall see!

9. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    The picture of Tillie and Dauphin lookin out over the scenery is priceless! I love pictures like that!

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Lovely pictures of your chickens Windy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by