Pics of my flock (pic heavy) Need help with 1 chick..spraddle leg pic.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, May 3, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Took some pics of my babies. I love to take tons of pics and pick the ones I like best. Decided I would share my flock of babies here. I have tons more pics but didn't want to bore anyone. I will share others later. The last pic if of my spraddle leg bantam. Any help or ideas would be much appreciate. Thanks!

First my guineas on our newly made roost we just put up today.
    [​IMG]

Our new feeders that we put up last night.
    [​IMG]

The other feeder, we made this one as a test to see if it would work with that many elbows. It does.
    [​IMG]

The entire roost.
    [​IMG]

Our bantams in a corner with a Isa Brown pullet. She is always with them, maybe she is mothering them.
    [​IMG]

What'cha doing?
    [​IMG]

I see you.
    [​IMG]

A Buff orpintong and Isa brown.
    [​IMG]

See it does work.
    [​IMG]

Sunday afternoon snooze.
    [​IMG]

Seems our Barred Rocks took alot of the best pics today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little bantam has severe spraddle leg. What should I do? I feel like a bad chick mama because I never notices it til today. Actually none of us have. DH thinks the other picked on its leg because of being feather footed and caused this. He/she gets around fine but long term effects?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Very nice! I was curious as to what is in the small feeder in the middle on the feeder pic. I have no advice for the little spraddle leg chick but I know there are quite a few people here that can help with that. Good Luck to you and your flock.

3. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:That smaller feeder between the 2 big ones is the chick grit. I have another I will put up when they are layer for the oyster shell.
    The feeders were the easiest thing to make. I didn't glue any parts together just pushed it together so that I can take them apart for cleaning.

4. vixchix

vixchix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    Illinois
    Not much you can do with a spraddle legged chick, I'm afraid. Although the little cutie may be getting around fine now, as its weight increases it will have problems being mobile. It will especially have difficulties hopping up and down from the roost.
    It is a beautiful little baby.

5. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    So should I just leave him/her be and if I notice difficulty and then put him/her out of misery? If you notice on my roost pic I put a roost really low, I was thinking about this chick and the other bantams of course. Maybe good thing she is a bantam? Smaller chick?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, it's a little too big for a bandaid. You'll need to use duct tape to hobble the legs underneath her. It will pull some of the feathers off of her feet and you'll need to keep it on for at least 10 days at that age.

Good luck.

7. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Ok your feeders are the the neastest ones I have have seen so far..... Gunna make my hubby make me a few of those;)

8. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Thank you! I got the idea from this forum. We are working on an automatic waterer. In case we go out of town for the weekend or something I don't have to worry about that. With the feeders we can also put an attachment on the top to make them longer to hold more food if need be.

9. addicted2chicks

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I feel so bad for not noticing this before. I have 4 of those same colored bantams and I spend so much time out just watching all the chicks I was so surprised today to see that.
    I have a brooder in the house with bantam silkies. I think I will duct tape this ones leg and put it with the silkies to see if we can get it to correct itself or at least make it better than it is.

10. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Quote:Maybe you could wrap it in gauze or something first then tape it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by