Pics of my Freedom Rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by crperdue, Jul 1, 2010.

1. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    I let them out of the tractor to run around a bit and stretch their wings. Thought some pics would
    be nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been very happy with the freedom rangers. They actually run around and act like chickens.

Raising these, I don't feel like I'm just shoveling feed into a machine that makes manure and meat.
    I know the cornish cross is more efficient than these birds, but I just didn't ENJOY raising those cornish
    crosses last year. I'm sold on these rangers.

I'm holding back some as breeders. We will see how that goes.

2. ben&momschicks

ben&momschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    They sure look nice, not creepy like my cornish x's looked. Let us know how they turn out when the big day comes.
    Karen

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Very nice!

Cool looking coop btw, do you have more pics of it?

4. whoopinha

whoopinha New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    Oh yes! More information needed. That coop is just what I need. Did you make it or did you buy it? I too am wanting to try the rangers. I am growing tired of the cornish cross myself. I understand the need, but I just don't enjoy watching them. I would trade that for a little less meat.

Thanks!!

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    How old are your rangers in that pic??

lol mine are almost TOO much like regular birds... they are much more interested in roaming all over their 40 acres than they are in eating their food. [​IMG] oh well... they will taste good!

6. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nice "skids" on your tractor, if I'm seeing correctly. Did you build it?
    Cool birds too!
    [​IMG]

7. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i know what you mean, i raised cx's last year and hated them, this year i'm raising a batch of freedom rangers and i'm loving them. I open up the tractor and let them range from 9 am till it gets dark, i'm sure they'll be a little tough from running but i don't really mind, they act like real chickens, and chase me whenever i go outside in hopes i have scraps for them. I'll be sad when we butcher them on saturday just because of the loss in entertainment value.

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    they really are such fun birds! i just love all the color variations and the amazing uniqueness of some of them. one of the large hens even has green legs.

95yj - how old will your birds be when you harvest?

9. crperdue

crperdue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Lake Waccamaw, NC
    I work at a vocational high school. I had the welding students make my tractor as a class project.
    It only took them 2 class periods to complete.

Its made of 1/2" EMT conduit. That makes it light, strong, and galvanized. They welded it together
    and spay painted the welds with a anti-rusting paint. The chicken wire is attached with tons of
    those palstic zip ties. The top is a silver tarp held in place with some zip ties and some bungee
    cords so I can reach in where needed.

It's just 8'X8'x2.5'. I used a 8x16 tractor and always thought it was to heavy to move. This one is super
    easy to move. If I lift it just a bit on the front it rocks back on the skids and slides easily.

I only have one, but plan to have several more built for next year. There are some changes I'd
    make:

1. There needs to be an automatic water system installed. Maybe a bracket at the back that
    can hold a 5-gal bucket. That would let me use a bell type waterer suspended from the frame.

2. Use 3/4" conduit just on the skids. This would make it last longer I suspect.

3. Hanging feeder or trough mounted on side. Anything where I don't have to reach in and pull
    out the feeder before I move it.

4. Part of the top should just be chicken wire. I can use a tarp half the size of what I have now.

Here are some pics of it being built and in use:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    my birds will be 11 wks (and 2 days) but there still huge, i'v gone through the same amount of food for 17 FR's that i did with 9 cx's, they forage like mad, and they weed our rasberries for us.
    [​IMG]
    that was them while chasing me... literally chasing me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by