pics of my girls - 8 weeks and 4 weeks including BLR wyandottes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by siouxbee, Jun 21, 2007.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Well, it's official. My girls hate me. The first batch (5 chicks -- lost one to a hawk) is about 8 weeks old now and the other girls (7 chicks, including replacement silkie for hawk breakfast) are 3-4 weeks old. And they're still inside in their brooder. Don't get me wrong, they're outside all day from about 9am (or whenever it's warm enough) until nearly 8pm at night in an 8 x 8 portable pen we built for them. We just haven't been able to finish the outdoor coop yet, so the poor things are still in my laundry room, under the counter. It's maybe a 3 x 4 space. Sigh.

My inability to provide them outdoor housing at night is not for lack of desire, more like lack of experience/skills. But I love my girls and really enjoy hanging out with them and watching them interact. They love to get some treats from us like my kids' leftover oatmeal, or jasmine rice, and if we have no yummy leftovers, we get a handful of thistle seed from our birdfeeder stash. It's so funny to watch the feeding frenzy.

So, here they are. First up, the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes:

[​IMG]
    Peepers -- has a suspiciously pinker and wider comb than the rest of the blrws, so I'm wondering...

[​IMG]
    Luna

[​IMG]
    Izzy

[​IMG]
    Clover, nibbling her namesake.

[​IMG]
    FuzzyUzzy, auracana on bottom right, with all 4 BLRWs

[​IMG]
    Tinkerbelle, auracana

[​IMG]
    Our two silkies, weeks apart, but this is the only baby the older silkie doesn't peck at.

[​IMG]
    Fly, our much-larger-than-everyone-else Speckled Sussex. Not sure what she's been eating...

[​IMG]
    Bandit, also S. Sussex, with a meek peepers in the bg. Bandit and the silkie are the worst about harassing (read: pecking) the babies.

[​IMG]
    Rosie, Gold Laced Wyandotte

[​IMG]
    Speck also doesn't peck the new silkie, tho she's much smaller than the other silkie.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Very pretty! I so want BLRW now....people keep posting pics and I just love their coloring...

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Pretty Chicks! [​IMG]
    Im amazed you can get such a wide range of sizes together like that.
    Can't wait till my GLW starts to show her colors.
    I have a thread going for pics of EE's to compare chicks VS adults if you want to post yours there [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    awwwwwwwwwwwww .....

My dd begged me to get some blr wyandottes, but we couldn't get EVERYthing we wanted. Her other "wish" was gold-laced. (And quail antwerp bantam, for some reason, but that one was sold out.) Now I wish I had, yours are going to be gorgeous. [​IMG] She's going to love your pics.

trish

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I LOVE that littler silkie chick!! Its soooo cute! Reminds me of a baby eagle in the last picture. ALL your birdies are beautiful!!!

Ellen

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I love your BLRWs... but call me partial! [​IMG] They are soooo cute... They remind me of when my monsters were cute and tiny like that!

7. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Thanks, and thanks to you carribrown for sending me pics of your blrws as babies. That definitely helped us make our decision about what to pick!

I love the way their feathering out, and I have to admit that Izzy is one of my special girls. She always comes and nestles down on my arm and hangs out for a while.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

No problem! I just love my BLRWs. It's funny to watch them since I really only have bantams w/ feathered legs. They run differently and scratch more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by