Pics of my homemade bator!

sclanimals

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Utah
This is the view through the door. The door is made from a double paned window. There is a shelf in front the heating element that holds a pan of water. There is a big fan that sucks from the bottom of the shelf and blows through the heating element. The air that the fan is pulling from the bottom is brought up through a false wall in the back of the incubator. A hole at the bottom of the false wall helps the air circulate evenly. This bator has three removable racks ( these were removed for cleaning), that are all connected to a rod that sticks out the side to turn the trays all at once. Those three white circles by the wafer are where they sit. Each rack can hold 8 dozen large eggs. That's 288 eggs if it was full. So it can hold 24 dozen eggs total. I won't be hatching that many at once, but could set that many. The insulation is 1/2" Styrofoam covered with 3/8" plywood. This bator works very well and only cost about $100 to make! We get a great hatch rate. That cheap white thermometer isn't used anymore, my kids just put it in for the picture. You can see the water weasel in the bottom. The black cord on the right is from the probe in the weasel. The thermometer sits on top. The glass in etched with a Partridge Cochin rooster and "Sclanimals". It is VERY heavy and very large!
nakedryley089.jpg
nakedryley084.jpg
nakedryley087.jpg
nakedryley082.jpg
nakedryley083.jpg

Last edited:
That is just plain AWESOME! Love the glass...where may I ask did you find that?
Any eggs going in that anytime soon?
smile.png

That is so nice.
I'm building one too. I like your idea of the heating coil. Be very careful about fire. Those wires get red hot and dust is flamable. Its a good design, I'd just do a little protection around the wood. Maybe some sort of metal heat sink. Look at a heater with a coil like you are using, there is a metal plate between the coil and anything flamable. Maybe move your insulators out further by using longer bolts or threaded rod and put a heat sink( a piece of thin metal to stand off the floor about an inch to let air circulate around it.) You want to keep the heat away from the wood, and that will get pretty hot. I put a heat sink between my lights and my rack with my fan blowing on it and it seems to help hold my temps better. ( the heat source cycles less and it seems the temps are more even )
How is your wafer thermostat working? I'm using an industrial thermostat from some machine I got from a buddy. I'm not sure its sensative enough. I may have to go with a wafer. Those are the best for the price.

The etched glass is really beautiful. I used to tell people I cant draw a straight line, but someone pointed out that there isn't a straight line in something a pretty as your etching so now I just say I can't draw a line
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom