pics of my meaties! first time raising

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dustyw, Jun 3, 2010.

1. dustyw

dustyw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    I am pretty excited. these cornish x came from mcmurray, They were born on saturday and I recieved them on tuesday morning. They seem to be doing really good. No losses yet. The kids just love them, wich may be a problem later. Just wanted to share some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Nice brooder and best wishes with them . If they tend to stay in the far corner away from the heat lamp as it appears they're doing in the pic , you might want to raise it or go to a smaller wattage .

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Very nice brooder. As Steve says, having some adjustability to your lamp is a good thing, but it looks good at the moment.They are cute now. Cute stops in about 5 days when it looks like they have a golfball in their buts and your shop/garage stinks to high heavens. Look forward to the day when you get to move them outside. You'll need a bigger feeder shortly, but that waterer will work for a while as long as you fill it 2x per day.

4. dustyw

dustyw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Thanks for the compliments. Dogfish, I was just going to ask about the golfball in there butts. Are they suppose to look that way? I just got in from the garage and this is the first I noticed it. The front and rear looks swollen. I hope you can tell me thats normal. I have been feeling pretty lucky about getting them in the mail after they were shipped on saturday and I didn't get them until tuesday and haven't lost any yet. What else should I be looking for? I also have a temp question, its about 85 in my garage all the time, do they still need a heat lamp, I have been leaving the 8 foot florucents on all the time. I think its 95 the first week and then down 5 every week right? When I got home it was 100 in the brooder, so I shut the heat lamp off. I planted some annual rye grass betwwen my pumpkin rows and thats were they will live the rest of the time, anybody else plant anything certain for the meaties to live on to keep them out of the mud and to snack on? I will be building a pvc tractor soon and was thinking about glueing all the joints and being able to hook the garden hose to it and fill it with water and then install the nipple water drinkers and use some of the water that the pvc holds to water them also. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by