Pics of my new babies.....and a question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Songster

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So......kind of hesitant to ask this question because I have NO idea if this is something people do or not, but here goes.....my duck had babies......is it cruel to take them away from her? I would leave her at least two. Or, can I just take the ones that I really want to keep? Or should I leave well enough alone? I would never do anything to hurt my ducks, so, like I said before, I am not sure this is something you do.

Here are the pictures...they are Anconas and they are absolutely gorgeous babies!!!!

[​IMG]
    Any guesses to the color?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To die for cute, huh?!?!??!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. zooweemama

zooweemama Songster

If you can leave a couple for the mama that's pretty sweet of you. But it's a pretty normal thing to remove some if not all if you are a breeder and let them breed/brood and incubate naturally. Personally if I could leave behind 1 or 2 babies- at the least I would. <3 They are beautiful!

3. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Songster

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So, that takes me to my NEXT question....HOW do I take them?

I KNOW that a duck isn't a human and I know they dont' feel and think the way we do, but the thought of taking a few babies.......it makes my heart hurt. So, how do you do it?

ETA: Thank you....they are pretty gorgeous aren't they?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. jessiduck

jessiduck Songster

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    I would only take them if you plan on selling them because you don't have room for them!
    Other than that, leave em' with Mama Duck! She knows best lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: