Pics of my new Kune Kune pigs So Cute!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cat1994, Feb 1, 2013.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    So I finally got the money to go out and buy some Kune Kune pigs! I have wanted some since I was in high school so finally getting to see them and buy some for my own was great!!
    So introducing… Gala and Fuji (lol I named them after apples hehehe) my two fully registered ten month old Kune Kune gilts… They are sooo friendly really they would sit on my lap if my dad would let me let them lol
    He's used to the bigger less trusting hogs he grew up with so he tends to shy away from getting to friendly with these...
    My Fuji girl saying hi

[​IMG]
    Here I am looking over Gala as she stuffs her face lol
    [​IMG]
    Gala resting her head on my lap enjoying a good scratch behind the ear
    [​IMG]
    Here the two are looking for some goodies
    [​IMG]
    We are planning on taking them back to the guy I bought them from in June to be serviced by one of his Kune Kune boars. We plan on growing out most of the piglets for pork I may sell a few always. I’m excited to see how well they do on rotational grazing as they are known as a grazing less rooting hog. I have come to understand that if you have enough grass they can grow off nicely with lil if any grain just veggies, fruits, and grass… I’m pumped to prove to all the old men around here (they call me a silly girl) that you don’t need to raise a hog on concrete and corn to get some nice pork!

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    ours are on grass only at the moment except one with piglets.

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Awesome!! Congrats. Kune Kune are the first thing I'm buying when we get our new hobby farm, we can't wait. Thanks for the pictures.[​IMG]

4. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks lots I’m light as air right now cuz this is a huge step in the direction I want to go as a farmer. The Kune Kune pig is a very tame pig that likes human company and tends to graze instead of plow it all under, just a few reasons why I really like them. They are a lil on the hairy side but when we butcher them we will just have to skin them. We like to make head cheese but unfortunately these guys don’t have much when in comes to a meaty head and neck lol kind of looks like they don’t have any neck at all.

5. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Cat OMG!! You are the first I have heard of in so many years that spoke of head cheese!! My mother used to make it and the recipe was lost when she passed 8 years ago! I also want to get kune kune pigs when we finally buy our farm, I'll find a way to make head cheese with them, just a little less.. Could you find it in your heart to post the recipe on here??? Pleeeeeaaaasssseeee...[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] Yep we still butcher our own hogs using almost everything but their squeal lol we make head cheese and even use the hog’s stomachs as casings for it. We render our own lard and cook the head meat in kettles over an open fire. We pickle the feet and the brains with cornmeal fried up for breakfast isn’t bad. I don’t really like our blood sausage though but our liver sausage isn’t really that bad.

Here is our recipe for head cheese
    1 hogs head (we usually butcher 5 hogs ourselves)
    Water
    Salt and pepper: to your tastes (just remember less is more you can always add but you can’t take away add and test add and test you should taste pepper before salt half the salt to pepper)

Sorry it’s not all that specific or what not but that’s it lol [​IMG]

Do you know how to process the head for head cheese? Cuz if not I can help you there as well…

[​IMG]
    more pics of my girls Gala and Fuji
    [​IMG]

Fuji saying hi
    [​IMG]
    just two girls out on the town teehehe so cute

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I just remember my mother putting the head in a large stock pot and simmering it till the meat just about fell off, don't know much more than that..And thank you very much for responding! [​IMG]

8. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Yeah that sounds about right lol
    clean the head
    skin it if you want (we don't)
    remove eyes and ears (we keep the ears)
    we cut the jaws off and cut the heads down the middles
    we put it all in the kettles and boil it slowly until it passes the pinch test (if you can pinch through the ear its done)
    remove ALL bones (no one likes to find teeth in their head cheese lol)
    then you grind it all up add the salt and pepper and water (we add broth from the kettles)
    you can mold the head cheese into a bread pan (we put it in casings)
    let it chill and then cut it up and enjoy

9. ChickenPotPie

ChickenPotPie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    Oh, boy. I stumbled across this thread and now I'm surfing Kune Kune websites. [​IMG] My husband is going to regret this. [​IMG]

May I ask, what is a reasonable price for breeding stock? And where did you get yours?

10. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Wow those are really nice pigs. Didn't know there were haired pigs. Really pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by