1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Pics of my other birds- marans, ee's, turkeys, rlw cornish, etc.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Buster, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Was just out looking at the birds and snapped these pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It's nice to have a ditch that seeps just enough under the head gate to water all my free ranging birds in the summer time. The ducks just recently discovered the puddle and there is no use in trying to keep them out of it.

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I love watching my ducks be ducks in water. It just looks like they're having FUN!!! That is quite an assortment of birds you've got there.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:And that's not even half of them! [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had NO idea you had D'Uccle's - they go broody ALOT - all three of my hens have been broody this year - they're SO CUTE and great moms!!!!

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Mine are still young- they are less than four months old. We really like them but with all the things going on here I am going to re-home them to a friend's house. I would really like to do some more in the future like when my boys are old enough to do 4-H.

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] You need to get cracking and build some separate pens to keep those nice pure breeds together.

YOu need to see how dang HUGE that Speckled SUssex boy is.... he is bigger than his MOTHER the BO already - and he still gets chased around by the little girls.[​IMG]

Do you have a game chicken in that mixed pic? Brown and white - in front of the turkey kinda?

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Yes I need to get on the ball and get some pens built. We have really big plans for a cool chicken yard. I just need to sell my cows to afford it. [​IMG]

SS get really big. I wish I had a roo I could trust around my kids because they are some of our favorite birds to roam the yard.

Yes I have a game bird in there- I have a red laced white cornish cockerel. He's part of an experiment of mine. I want to cross him on DW's layer flock and see if I can get some half way decent meat birds out of them. I know they won't be like the cornish crosses but I figure that there must be something to the cross or they wouldn't have started doing it in the first place.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If this SS gets mean, he'll get the pot - the dang little roo is bad enough with the kids, at least he can't really JUMP that high and the kids can handle sticking out a foot or something.

Well let us know how that experiment goes, I just wonder how they get those meat birds to GROW so dang fast, I think anything you try on your own isn't going to get so big in such a short amount of time... Cross em with the speckled sussex [​IMG]
    I'd be interested to breed my own meat birds - that would be interesting...

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Yeah I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work then it was worth the try. I need to get my layers separated from my breeders soon because I currently have about 12 pullets free ranging with 4 cockerels and that's a terrible ratio. I will put that rlw cockerel as the roo over my layer flock when the time comes. I'll separate my EE's and figure out something to do with Geronimo, the splash orp cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by