Pics of my "son"

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rhett&SarahsMom, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course I wanted some action shots but he wanted to know if I had anything for him. So he wasnt leaving my side.

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Gosh he is a beauty,

Thank you for posting the pic.

Jena.

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

What a gorgeous boy!!! [​IMG] Simply magnificent!!

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG] HORSEYYYYYYY.....

5. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Wow he looks just like my old TB boy do i miss him [​IMG]

6. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Oh do tell us more - breed, age, discipline and other cool stuff about him. I have 2 "sons" and 2 "daughters". Our lives are made amazing by them!

Thanks for sharing.

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    4hooves&featheredfriends :

Oh do tell us more - breed, age, discipline and other cool stuff about him. I have 2 "sons" and 2 "daughters". Our lives are made amazing by them!

Thanks for sharing.

His stats. LOL

Breed: Thoroughbred.Registered name RockNMerle. His sire passed last year. I wanted to buy his sister when she came up for sale, but didnt have the funds.
    Raced for 6 years. Retired to be a pony horse, then brought back to race again. Retired again and trained dressage and used for trails. Has a really NICE extended trot.
    He is going to be 13 March 19th. He goes english and western. But hasnt been ridden in a year. Last year was just "bad"
    He got moved twice within the year and doesnt do well with change. Raced all his races at Penn National. Had one owner before I got him.

I found him on CanterPA.org I was looking for a mare. And something shorter than his 16h. [​IMG] I saw his picture and was trying to decide between him and a mare named Queens Treasure. Second night I dreamed about him. Next day I called his trainer, told her not to sell him to anyone else and bought him. Cleaned out my bank account. I probably could have gotten him for less. But I didnt care.
    Told my dh that I had bought a horse as he was walking into the house after work. I dont think he believed me.
    I have owned Rhett for 4 years this month> he will be actually with me for 4 years March 6. I still have all his Canter pics and info. [​IMG]

It took me a month to get him "home" Arranging shipping etc from PA to MA. He was already in his stall eating hay when I first met him. Yup bought him sight unseen. [​IMG] Only pictures and a description of him from his trainer. She was honest with me about him. No vet check.

Our first summer together he was trimmed too short and abscessed badly. So we spent the entire summer and fall just soaking and wrapping and taking long walks around the stable. I had had him a year before I got a chance to ride him. But he is my best friend.
    I can read him like a book because of all the time I spent working with his foot and just walking him around.
    He has Bend Or spots. But he also has a light "gold" spot on his haunch where my Appy mare had hers, my pinto mare had hers and my Arab gelding had his. Weird. He has a MS(stands for the racing stable that owned him) freeze brand on his left hip. I thought it was cool he had it since my name starts with a "M" and my daughters a "S"

His trainer and I still email now and then. She told me that he is a one person horse. And he has proven it.

The second year I had him I was carless for a week or two and had another rough boarder taking care of him. When we finally had wheels again and I showed up you could see him brighten up. You could se ehe was depressed. His entire body showed it.

And my favorite "Rhett loves me story"

He was out in a big pasture with two gates. I called him for dinner and he came to the gate. After I had gotten the lead on him another gelding charged him. The gate wasnt even that open since I had just stepped through to hook his lead on. I should have been trampled by him as he dove to get away from the other horse that was charging at him. But in a blink he was standing on the other side of the gate next to me. Shaking.
    He had dove through gate. Taken out the post it hooked to, a telephone pole. And not touched me.

Some of the other boarder/trainers saw what happened and had come running to check on me and him. They told me that in a matter of seconds they had seen him see the gelding coming at him, judge the gate and then look at me. And choose to jump through the gate and no land on me. He had a nice hematoma on his shoulder and hip for months. But he hadnt touched me. He choose to take out the post rather than hurt me.

I can clean his stall around him and move him by saying his name.
    I can do anything to him and he just accepts it.
    I dont care if I never actually ride him again. Although it would be nice and I am hoping my ankle issue doesnt mess up my plans too much. He has limited flex in his right front ankle. And so do I. Go figure.[​IMG]

No matter what this horse will never be sold. I am his last owner.
    He is my partner and my best friend. Wait til he sheds out and I get those pics up. He just glows.​

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. Rhett&SarahsMom

May 8, 2008
    Here's a picture of him our second summer. 2006
    He was watching the harness racers training on the track that runs around the ring. Walking him across the track to get to the ring was always exciting. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta get him back to THAT shape, while getting me back into shape as well. Without injuring myself.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    So pretty-I miss having horses....*sigh*

10. MissCluck

MissCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

He's GORGEOUS! I love that "look of eagles" photo of him in the ring with his mane and tail flying.

I have an OTTB old campaigner tooooo! He just retired from racing on December 6th, 2008. Here he is. He is eight. Retired with 70 starts and he's sound. Phew.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by