Pics of my son's Chicken Coop & Chickens in Vermont!! (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickens-n-Vermont, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Chickens-n-Vermont

Chickens-n-Vermont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Poultney Vermont
    Here are some pictures of my son Sam's chickens and our chicken coop. The coop was there when we purchased the house, about 15 years ago (we think the coop is about 70 - 80 years old), and we never thought we would have chickens in it. I was using it for storage. But Sam, 10, decided a year ago that he wanted to try raising some. So, we started off with 5 and here we are now with 18 hens and loving it. He does most of the work and sells the eggs. And we are very proud of him, because he is doing such a wonderful job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    What a great boy, you must be so proud. Heck he isn't mine and I am proud of the job he is doing. Keep up the great work. And I know you have your hands full as I see that you have twins. I am a twin I was the 13th by a minute and I don't know how my Mom did it. Congrats again on doing such a great job with your boy.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Good job. Beautiful chickens and a handsome young man!!

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    How wonderful!

I'm glad your son is doing such a great job with the chickens. My kids have had a blast with them too!

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    How wonderful!!! He looks so proud, and he should be! Good lookin birds! [​IMG]

6. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    [​IMG] Wow! What a great job your son is doing! His chickens obviously love him too....you can see it! How fun![​IMG] Have a great day!

7. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    How cool for a kid to not only own pets, but to be motivated and hard-working with them! Kudos to Sam, and to Sam's parents! [​IMG]

Somehow it takes a good parent to raise a good kid, but it
    doesn't always mean a bad parent raised a bad kid [​IMG]

Tanya

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    What really beautiful birds, and your son is obviously a fine young man for looking after them. They really look great.

I'm worried that the chickenwire enclosing the run will not deter marauding dogs and raccoons. It is not strong enough. Can you line the bottom several feet with hardware cloth? I would hate to read a few months from now that your flock is gone.

9. Chickens-n-Vermont

Chickens-n-Vermont Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2008
    Poultney Vermont
    Hi Buff,

Thanks for the advise. I will look into that. He has put so much work into his chickens, I would hate to have something happen to them.

10. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Super pics and what a great kid!! We don't have any chickens yet, but plan to soon. My step-son might come to live with us soon (we've moved out of state), and really wants to get involved in animal rearing. I can't wait to take my own pics. just like yours [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by