Pics of my sweet Princess - RIP sweet girl

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdlover, May 21, 2008.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Her pics are at the end of this thread. Thank you for posting her pics, Terrie.

Hello chicken friends,

Some of you may remember my little Princess who seemed close to the edge of death not long ago but made a comeback of sorts. Well, she seems to be slowly fading again. I took her to the vets yesterday to have the tip of her beak trimmed (it grows sooo fast and seems to interfere with her being able to eat when it gets long) and they weighed her while she was there. She's gone from 726 grams to 600 grams in a month. I spend much of every day trying to get her to eat enough and it doesn't seem to be working. Compared to when I got back from Ga., she's doing much better. She can walk, poop is normal again, reacts to birds going by and noises, shows another bantam who is sometimes around her that she is the boss, loves to eat mealworms and crickets. However, since she had lost so much weight, I had them tube feed her while I was there. This morning, she has shown no interest in eating except for mealworms, crickets and some romaine lettuce. She didn't even want her dandilion greens which she usually scarfs down! She sleeps a lot and just doesn't seem right. Okay HERE'S THE DILEMMA: I have to go to Indianapolis for a week next Wednesday. I know my husband won't look after her like I do and I don't know of another soul who would either. Well, maybe my neighbor but wouldn't the move to her house be stressful? And I'm not sure she would do it. I am wondering if I shouldn't have her put to sleep before I go or just let her, basically, starve to death while I'm gone. I honestly don't think she's sick; just getting old and her time has come. But she IS a pet and I love her dearly. Sometimes I pray I'll just find her peacefully moved over the Rainbow Bridge when I go to get her in the morning. (She sleeps on the back of an easy chair in the spare bedroom). The thing is, I could do all sorts of things to try to get her pepped up but then I HAVE TO go away for a week. What would YOU do? Sorry for the lengthy post.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I guess what I'm really asking for is encouragement and moral support. I know the final decision is up to me. [​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I read your post earlier, and just didn't know what to say...

[​IMG]

If you really feel she is in a serious decline, prehaps the best thing for her would be to euth her before you go, especially if you know she won't get the proper 'hospice' care she needs to keep her comfortable.

Hugs to you whatever you decide...

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I beleive we are supposed to be good stewards of our animals, and sometimes having them put down is the best thing we can do for them.

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, I'm sorry you are having to make such a decision.
    I'll try to be honest and detached, because you are already in the midst of the emotional part of it.
    In my opinion, I would have her put to sleep. It may sound to some as if I am being cold and harsh, but I went through a similar thing last summer and I wished I had made the decision. I had a young hen who just was up and down health-wise over the course of a couple months. She needed supplementary food often as well. I had to go away for about a week and a half, and I debated what to do, and then decided to leave her and see what happened. Well, she passed away while I was gone, and of course I still have guilt about not being there, and about her suffering alone without me to ease her pain. Not only that, but my pet sitter is a wonderful woman, and of course she felt horrible that one of my animals died in her care.
    I'm so very sorry.

6. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Well, I have read somewhere in here about those who took their chook on vacation with them......

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'd like to say that IMHO I'd have her put to sleep, but it is always harder to do than say. Are you sure your DH would not look after her? Maybe if you explain that it's just one week and you'd like to consider the option of euthanasia without a time limit. Maybe he could be extra giving for a week so that you do not need to feel rushed on this decision.

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to make the same decision about three years ago when I was going to be gone for four weeks. It was tough, but I know it was the right thing to do.
    However, I am wondering if she would perk up if she had a companion. I have read that most go downhill when they are alone.
    Whatever you decide, I know that you will make the decision that you feel is best for her.

9. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Awww, you guys are awesome! Thank you sooo much for all your kind words and advice.

chcknrs - I'm going on the train and they won't let me take her. I debated driving but I don't think it would be a good idea because she is not in good health.

Guitartists - My husband IS going to take care of her but he won't give her the kind of care she needs. He just doesn't get it.

hoosier - She has had a couple of buddies earlier when I had a couple of chicks inside and another chicken being treated for an impacted crop. She's so old, she couldn't really keep up. One of the chicks (now 8 months and outside) still comes in the house but Princess just pecks her if she comes too close.

I'll let you all know how things go in a little while. Thank you again for your electronic encouragement!

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I've had many, many 4-footed or winged friends over the years (I'm 62) and the only criteria that works for me is to ask myself how happy/comfortable is my friend. With my dogs, cats, and horses I have always let them tell me when it is time to say goodbye. They do so by refusing food, and often by lying down, and refusing to meet my eyes when I try to talk to them. With my birds, they have always tucked their heads under their wings and just slipped away.

Bottom line is to think about what is best for her rather than what makes you feel the least guilty.

My sympathies. This is always a hard choice either way.

Rusty

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by