Pics of Nearly Completed Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicka-boom Chicka-boom, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have a few pictures of our nearly completed coop [​IMG] just of the hens side for now. [​IMG] More pics to follow soon of the people side of coop and the covered run.

Here are our 4 hens exploring their new coop. The 2 in the background are Lucy & Ethel (RIR & Buff Brahma). The 2 in the foreground are Helen & Henrietta (Americauna & Black Australorp). The nest boxes are on the upper left - the door is closed. I've used red gingham patterned cupboard/shelf liner to cover some areas of the coop, for decorative and easy cleaning purposes. The poop trays beneath the roost are two inexpensive black boot-drip trays from Wal-Mart. The pop door, which is closed, is behind the chickens. The plywood floor is covered in linoleum which is covered in pine shavings. I plan on using the deep litter method.
    [​IMG]

This picture shows the door to the nest boxes open. We have 4 hens and 3 nest boxes. On the other side of the nest boxes is "our" side of the coop. The coop structure is 8 x 12, split down the middle, pretty much. On our side we store feed, shavings, rake, broom, etc. We chose to have the nest boxes completely within the interior of the coop. We (will) access them from our side of the coop, once they begin to lay.
    [​IMG]

This shows the ramp the hens use to go up to their roost. I covered the roost bar (a 2x4) in the red gingham. The white walls will eventually be painted with a mural - my daughter is excited about doing that. But first she and DH are painting the exterior of the coop. I will post those pics soon as soon as they're done painting.
    [​IMG]

I hope you like our coop! [​IMG] We're happy with it and our hens are too [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    BEAUTIFUL!!!! [​IMG]
    I don't think it's going to be that clean for long..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chickenjoefan

chickenjoefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Western Isles, Scotland
    stunning! well done [​IMG]

4. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Looks great! Can't wait to see the outside paintings, and the mural on the inside !!

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    That is a nice coop. Have your hens pecked at the shelf liner? Mine use to peck at a plastic tablecloth that had red dots on it.[​IMG]

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    looks nice. i would be concerned about pecking the dots on the plastic. the idea is nice, just that chickens (well ) peck everything. you might consider removing it. imo

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Quote:I have to say, I agree with Annie. It sure looks cute though; maybe you can leave it until it becomes a problem. The first winter I kept chickens I bought a piece of white plastic to cover the pop door opening to cut down on drafts (cut it in 2 inch strips so they could push through it). It was kind of thick but still pliable, I thought it would be perfect. They ate it. All of it. Sigh. They peck at everything. Love your coop though, with or without the cute red checks! [​IMG]

8. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I have to say, I agree with Annie. It sure looks cute though; maybe you can leave it until it becomes a problem. The first winter I kept chickens I bought a piece of white plastic to cover the pop door opening to cut down on drafts (cut it in 2 inch strips so they could push through it). It was kind of thick but still pliable, I thought it would be perfect. They ate it. All of it. Sigh. They peck at everything. Love your coop though, with or without the cute red checks! [​IMG]

It is funny what all they will peck at. When I am inside the coop I can hear them pecking at the walls on the outside - not sure if there are bugs or what. It's really cute though so hopefully they don't mess with it!

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Might want to line the nest boxes or paint them, they get really poopy fast and raw wood doesn't clean well and absorbs the poo smell

10. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Quote:So far they haven't pecked at it - but it is very new (as of yesterday). I was thinking about that as I was putting it up and decided that if they wreck it, they wreck it. It can always be removed. But the coop is only new once - so might as well make it look pretty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by