Pics of new bantams and their new 'momma'. Plus a few questions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chellebyerly, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I ordered from Ideal, they were supposed to ship on Wen. Be here Thursday or Friday.

After reading on here I knew there was a chance they would come a little early. No problem. Matter of fact, them coming early worked out perfectly for me.

They showed up yesterday. (wend)

I got 2 Black Jersey Giants (my males)

and I got 4 assort frizzles
    and
    4 assorted banatams.

Here is a pic of the Giant and a bantam They are both day old babies. My kids swear the giant is a penquin.

[​IMG]

Can anyone identify the breed from these pics? I got assorted. ....
    [​IMG]

And I LOVE the packing hay that they put in there. Its in pallet type things. I left it in with them, then decided I better ask if its okay to leave in there. LOL

My chicken with a bad neck was in their brooder. So I tried to put her back with her flock. It was a no go.
    So, I put her back in with these. they were THRILLED.

They think she is momma!!

Now for my questions:

Can I do anything else for her neck? I forgot to buy non pain relief triple antibotic ointment. I did try vasaline. She picks at it too.

We made it through one night wiht out her or them smooshing each other. So, I hope that continues. And she hasnt been mean to any of them yet. But I wonder if anyone else has done this? Put in a 3 week old with day olds?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How many babies do you see under her?? LOL I didnt know it was possible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also, I have a 250 watt red light on the older chicks. I have to put it 3 feet above the cage. All I could find in red was at lowes and it was a 25 watt bulb.

what else could I use?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    OH yeah, and I forgot to ask.

How long till they are too big to get through the wire? LOL

I moved them to a rabbit cage. More room, and I could control temp better. Then I put chicken wire on the outside. I STILL found 2 escapee's this morning. Now I have put cardboard on the inside.

3. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    That is so funny. After rehoming the boys I only had 2 chicks. The larger BR was at the top of the pecking order, but insisted on crawling underneath the much smaller EE. Actually pushed her up off the ground. It was a bit disturbing, but oh so cute.

4. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I guess they never get too old to need a 'momma' LOL

5. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    what beautiful babies. [​IMG] what happened to your birds neck?
    are you worried the giants which are males i think you said will in time try to mate with your smaller breeds?

6. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Wow. how cute.

7. chellebyerly

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    Quote:Thank you, [​IMG]

She just got a little sore in the 'feathers growing in' stage, and the others pecked it.. [​IMG]

Honestly no. More than likely, they will be seperated. BUT, in my old flock, I had a combo of heavy and bannies. My rooster was HUGE half barred rock and half Giant and I ended up loosing most of my heavy's, to minks, coons, neighbors dogs, etc. And only my teeny tiny bannies were smart enough to get away. (dont ask how... but they were.. LOL ) My smallest bannie raised 16-17 babies every chance she got. It would be hilarious to see a barred rock baby following her at 3 weeks that was as big as she was. My frizzles did too. I never had any problems.. I was given that flock as grown hens and roosters.

8. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    that is so awsome!!! i bet it was funny to see the biggies follow the littles. lol [​IMG]
    best of luck again with all of those beautiful babies.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by