Pics of new chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marie_martin, Nov 4, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
  2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Nice pics - they look adorable! Thanks for sharing.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Your babies are sooo cute, and I looked at your other chickens and they are really sweet. I would like a faverolle at some point, too. Yours are beautiful.

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Thanks guys. Seminole, did you go to the website? Did you see my goats. I have had much better luck with them. But I am glad that I have the chicks I have and no matter whether they are pure silkie or not, I love them.

Thanks,

Marie

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Marie, I went to the pictures and looked at your chickens, guess I'll have to go back and look at the goats.
    Don't fret about the chickens. First off, your chickens are beautiful, and if you get that Faverolle stud, I would be happy to hatch some silky-faverolles. Wouldn't it be cool if other people were hatching YOUR eggs?
    And I don't care about mutts as long as they're cute. When I got my first chicks, I would have taken crosses instead, well, maybe not my Jersey Giants! Karen

6. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    It is so funny that all of them are black like the roo. Here is the dad. He is a sizzle, which is a frizzled silkie with regular feathers. So these guys will probably have regular feathers too.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/?action=view&current=P7090277.jpg

And the mom, a faverolle of course:

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/?action=view&current=P9090425.jpg

Will post pics of them as they grow. I do think that maybe chicks are like dogs and that the hardiest ones are the mixes? I would be glad to send you some eggs if you wanted them in the spring. I wont have a roo until then, so they would be the mixed ones. I am going to get a faverolle roo though and then I will have full blood faverolles. I hope.

Marie

7. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    those are beautiful chickens and the chicks are adorable ! I hope to get a couple silkies next and I love the look of your roo

8. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Not one of the Sassy eggs hatched. I opened the 4 I had left in there and one was turned wrong and started to breath as I opened it, I could not get it out in time and it aspirated the liquid and I did chest compressions and could not get the fluid out so it died. The rest stopped late and were fully formed but never absorbed the yolk and never pipped or anything. So that is over. I love the chicks I have but I sure did want some sassy silkies running around. But I guess it was not in the cards. I am going to find the nearest breeder and just have to make a roadtrip in the spring. This is not worth the heartache. I just about died trying to save that baby and make it breathe. I just don't have the heart for that. I do much better at helping my goats give birth. Or I have so far anyway. Thanks so much for your support.

Marie

9. Mareloo

Mareloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    South Africa
    I am so sorry you feel so sad..

[​IMG]

I also sometimes feel overwhelmed.. but i do got the heart..

I wish you the best of luck with what ever you decide is best for You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by