Pics of one week and again at 7 weeks... what sex or can you tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lobzi, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

HI, these little peeps are so small, even at 7 weeks. It is hard to believe any of them could be roos however, the white and brownish one play spar while the little black one hangs mostly with the mom. Is it too early to determine their sexes? Also, that white one that developed a black speckling... has anyone ever seen that coloration in a chick before? What type of bird could that be a characteristic of?

one week old
    [​IMG]

7 weeks
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your guesses. I have looked as many pic posted on this forum thread. It sure would be nice if folks would follow up with pics of their peepers once the true sex is determined when they post pic for guessing sexes. Wouldnt that be helpful to see the progression!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    It's too early really to tell, but I think the black one is standing like a roo in the 7 week pic. The white one looks more roo if you go by comb. It's just so hard to guess right [​IMG] I do know one thing for certain though...those are some cute little buggers!!!

3. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    The white one looks like a roo because he has his comb showing already.
    My california chicken white with spekkels, looks like your white chicken but my ancona chicken was like that too but she turned out to be black with white speckels.

4. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    The white one looks like a roo, his comb is pretty red for that age and the one in the middle possibly, need closer pics.

5. Lobzi

Ok, thank you all for your opinions. I actually get more enjoyment out of the roos growing up but in the long run, I can only keep the pullets. I have too many roos as it is for the number of females and the broods tend to give me 2 males/1 female so Im not expanding my flock very quickly:(

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think 2 roos (the white in the front based on comb development and the black one in the back just because he's standing like a rooster)

7. Lobzi

Oh boy, if that is true about the little black and white one, I probably have 3 roos for three. The brown one and the white one are the two that started play sparing and they are the ones with the most comb development. I guess I just have to wait and see.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Don't panic just yet - my pullet chicks bumped chests and played rough, too.

9. Lobzi

Really?!?! Females will do the sparing play too. I have not seen that yet in my babies but then I have never had more than one girl at a time, the rest turning out to be males. I have read the female determines the sex of the babies unlike the males in other animals. My hens must have a tendency to produce males so in all broods I will get more males than females. Im keeping the flock closed for now. I dont want to take a chance at introducing any diseases. The numbers are increasing this way but very slowly. I sure am enjoying the times watching the babies grow and develop their distinct personalities.

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    The Splash is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by